• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bahama Woodstar in Pennsylvania (1 Viewer)

Amazing footage. About 38 seconds in some background noise coincides with the bird sticking its tongue out - sounds like it's licking its chops. A bit far for you to nip up and see it though Helen?

Chris

An amazing record, but I don't believe the bird has been seen since April 24, so I wouldn't be rushing there without info on recent sightings.

Jim

Amazing footage. About 38 seconds in some background noise coincides with the bird sticking its tongue out - sounds like it's licking its chops. A bit far for you to nip up and see it though Helen?

Chris

Yes, Chris, it is a bit too far!! I'll have to content myself with the Ruby-throats and one male Black-chinned Hummingbird that have made my back garden their home for the time being. We had a couple of Rufous Hummingbirds overwinter with us, so we do have quite a bit of activity here in central Texas.

An amazing record, but I don't believe the bird has been seen since April 24, so I wouldn't be rushing there without info on recent sightings.

Jim

Yes, Jim, it has now moved on - I only just saw the post, made on April 25th, on Humnet this morning!

I missed seeing the bird by less than 4 hours. Originally it was thought to be a hybrid and I didn't bother chasing it. When it was finally determined to be a Bahama Woodstar I got there as quickly as I could, along with about 70 other birders. Just a little too late.

Several of my friends saw the bird, including the person who shot the video that the OP linked to. Check out the rest of the set including my favorite.

This is really an astounding record. The last sighting in the United States was in 1981, in Florida. Prior to that there have only been 4 or 5 sightings in the US, all in Florida. Bahama Woodstar is not a migratory species. Who knows what it was doing here in PA.

There is an article about the bird in the local newspaper here.

Mike

I read about this a while back...what do you think flew in on a recent storm? I don't follow easy coast weather very closely, but that is a long way to go out of the way...

I was contacted by the folks who had this bird in their garden, as I had written a small book about the Bahama Woodstar. I live in Nassau, Bahamas, and am a professional photographer and have taken a lot of photos of this species, which is basically our only hummingbird. I would love to know how he got all the way to PA! I doubt it would have been Sandy that blew it up there as I would wonder how it survived the wicked winter that followed. Perhaps you would enjoy some of the photos I have on my web site at http://www.expressionsbyann.com

One thing though, I have a picture of a Bahamas Woodstar on my web site with its tail feathers fanned out, and the markings are different from the one seen in Pennsylvania.
Hummingbird0045-web.jpg

Last edited:
I was contacted by the folks who had this bird in their garden, as I had written a small book about the Bahama Woodstar. I live in Nassau, Bahamas, and am a professional photographer and have taken a lot of photos of this species, which is basically our only hummingbird. I would love to know how he got all the way to PA! I doubt it would have been Sandy that blew it up there as I would wonder how it survived the wicked winter that followed. Perhaps you would enjoy some of the photos I have on my web site at http://www.expressionsbyann.com

One thing though, I have a picture of a Bahamas Woodstar on my web site with its tail feathers fanned out, and the markings are different from the one seen in Pennsylvania.

Thank you for your reply to this thread, Ann, and welcome to BirdForum, as I see you are a new member. I checked out your website and I love the hummingbird photos. How wonderful to have the Bahama Woodstar build a nest in your garden!

I hope you will post some of your wild bird photos in our Gallery - but just to let you know, we don't allow photos of bird nests, eggs or captive birds or creatures to be posted in the Gallery.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back