• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birds In The Work Place (1 Viewer)

Euan Buchan

The Edinburgh Birdwatcher
Supporter
Scotland
I work in a Church Hall and I was returning to the office after my lunch when I noticed a bird flying around The Main Hall. I was like how on earth I'm I supposed to get it back outside? I just stood there watching it at the window it eventually found the open window were I guessed it came from and flew out it was a Robin so made me wonder have you ever had a bird inside your work place?

Not that I recall, although just a few nights ago we had an Eastern Phoebe come into our house in the middle of the night when my husband opened the door. We were flabbergasted, but we just left the door open and it found its way back out.

It freaked our dog out - I think he remembers some of the panicky times when we've had bats flying around in the house, now anything flying inside the house is scary to him - he's even gone slinking away at the sight of a butterfly in the dining room!

I once saw a Mute Swan in the "works canteen" (it was right next to a well populated mere in rural Cheshire) it did cause quite a stir.

Works canteen is a bit rude, I was working on the site of the HQ of an international pharma company and therefore it was fairly upmarket

I am fairly regularly called upon to remove Feral Pigeons that enter the building through open windows, as a result of which I have developed some ability at throwing tea-towels over them before gathering them up and setting them free. This year I have also removed a Great Crested Grebe from the car park - I don't know whether it hit the top of a tree or mistook tarmac for water, but it did need the help. The grebe was quite aggressive and I advise others to keep their faces well away from the reach of any grebe's bill.

John

Hi Euan,

I just stood there watching it at the window it eventually found the open window were I guessed it came from and flew out it was a Robin so made me wonder have you ever had a bird inside your work place?

In large warehouses, this is a recurring problem even when you limit door and gate opening times to a minimum. Birds are quick!

It's difficult to get them out again once they're inside since they tend to flee up, and often the only chance to get out is at floor level.

The most astonishing bird colleagues found in a warehouse was a Northern Goshawk that felt quite at home in the building and had no problem knowing its way in and out. It impressed everyone by flying down the length of the warehouse under the roof, going through a very narrow circular hole in the rafters every few meters by folding and unfolding its wings in rapid succession.

The only bird that ever made it into my office area was a Great Tit that just flew in through a window in the light well right outside my office. It could be heard chirping inside for an hour or two, then it found an exit and was gone.

Regards,

Henning

I am fairly regularly called upon to remove Feral Pigeons that enter the building through open windows, as a result of which I have developed some ability at throwing tea-towels over them before gathering them up and setting them free. This year I have also removed a Great Crested Grebe from the car park - I don't know whether it hit the top of a tree or mistook tarmac for water, but it did need the help. The grebe was quite aggressive and I advise others to keep their faces well away from the reach of any grebe's bill.

John

Any Owl will do a Job on Pigeons John but Teat Owl is particularly effective.....;)

There was Blue-breasted KIngfisher in the hotel restaurant when I was in Gambia, it was in there for over 24hrs, sitting on a roof beam before it found its way out.

Last edited:
Many years ago I kept getting called out to the workshops of the company where I worked at the time due to the alarms going off.

Eventually found the culprit. A tawny owl had found a way in through a damaged vent and was using it as somewhere to shelter/rest after hunting setting of the heat detector next to its favourite perch in the process.

Also had swallows nesting in the portaloo on a building site. It became so traumatic both for the birds and those attempting to use the facility getting dive bombed that we simply left the door open and got another portaloo in. Every body was happy, no more wet legs for the brickies and a new family of swallows

Not at workplace, but here's a story of finding a bird in an unexpected place.

We'd been house-shopping for a while, finally found one in a great location, albeit at a not-so-great price: quiet street, by a lake, park with hills and trails, good public school system. House itself had a few issues, mostly fixable. There was a swimming pool in the back yard, about which we had divided opinions: I saw it as an expense and a safety hazard for toddlers, my wife was thrilled. But the house had been empty for a while and the pool was covered, and the owner refused our request to uncover it and check that the pumps etc still worked. Long story short, we bought the house, at significantly less than the asking price, and moved in over the winter.

Finally, spring rolls around, and it's time to find out whether we've got a pool, or an extreme roller-skating park. The pool cover is held on by a few dozen straps anchored to bolts in the concrete deck. I unbolt a dozen straps at the shallow end of the pool, and fold back the cover to let some light inside, just to see how bad things might be. There's a two-foot tear in the pool cover near the deep end, so in addition to things like cracked concrete and fallen tiles I'm fearing rotted leaves, dead frogs, maybe a snake or two.

I was definitely NOT expecting a full-sized hawk to come barreling out from under the cover, missing my head by inches. I don't know how long it had been down there, but I'm pretty sure it would not have gotten out on its own.

In large warehouses, this is a recurring problem even when you limit door and gate opening times to a minimum.

In large shopping malls in Poland, birders report quite regularly seeing a Crested Lark or a Sparrowhawk in winter. Besides House Sparrows finding their way in.

I discovered this Hoopoe with a damaged wing in one of the smoking areas outside the terminal at Hong Kong airport, where I work. While I was waiting someone from Kadoorie Farm (HK's wild animal rescue centre) for to collect it. I let it out of the box to see how it was doing and got the video below:

https://www.facebook.com/mike.kilburn.98/videos/vb.864050332/10155913923350333/?type=2&video_source=user_video_tab

Best watched in HD setting.

the story ended well as the bird's broken collar bone healed well and it was released in good health.

Cheers
Mike

Last edited:
Hi Jurek,

In large shopping malls in Poland, birders report quite regularly seeing a Crested Lark or a Sparrowhawk in winter. Besides House Sparrows finding their way in.

Pretty cool - but I guess these birds know how to get out, too?

House Sparrows are quite intelligent - I read about them routinely and purposefully triggering motion sensors to get through doors.

Is there an English term for species that thrive in an environment shaped by humans for humans? In German, it's "Kulturfolger" ... House Sparrows certainly qualify.

Regards,

Henning

Hi Jurek,

House Sparrows are quite intelligent - I read about them routinely and purposefully triggering motion sensors to get through doors.

Is there an English term for species that thrive in an environment shaped by humans for humans? In German, it's "Kulturfolger" ... House Sparrows certainly qualify.

Regards,

Henning

'Urban' as in Urban Fox but not sure I've heard it applied to birds, Peregrine may be one and in my lifetime in the UK, Magpies and Woodpigeons have taken to Towns and Cities but I've never heard any additional nouns attached.

Last edited:

Crested Larks apparently do, Sparrowhawks variably. When the management learnes about them, they are usually trapped and released outside in any case, because of health regulations.

Hi Andy,

'Urban' as in Urban Fox but not sure I've heard it applied to birds, Peregrine may be one and in my lifetime in the UK, Magpies and Woodpigeons have taken to Towns and Cities but I've never heard any additional nouns attached.

Ah, that's a good start ... the German term can also be applied to rural species that prefer the proximity of man, though. White Storks for example benefit from the nesting opportunities offered by man-made structures, the protection provided by the proximity of man and his domestic animals, as well as from feeding opportunities created by farming activities.

Regards,

Henning

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back