• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Olypmus C720's and Teleconverters (1 Viewer)

leithp

I've seen the ever-popular TCON-17 1.7x teleconverter, but I have read on one (and only one) site that they are not compatible with the C720, specifically, although they work with other C7x0's --

I have a C180 that fits, but I get some pretty serious vignetting with it. It's a 1.7 teleconverter not specifically designed for the C7x0 series.

I'd like a 1.7-2.0x teleconverter for this camera, but I'm doing some research first to see if anyone out there has one that they are happy with with this camera (the Olympus C720, specifically).

So... does anyone out there have this camera and a teleconverter they are happy with?

Thanks
Phil Leith

Phil,
Olympus itself says that the TCON-17 is not compatible with the C-700, C-720 and C-730. However, I use it on my C-730 and it works GREAT. I have seen other postings on this forum that say it works fine with the C-700. Soooo, I would think that it should also work with the C-720.

Rich

Olympus C720 & TCON-17

I tried a TCON-17 today. You just need a 52mm-55m stepup ring. Focused fine and no noticible light falloff.

I did notice that when I took my test picture there is a purple line all along the edges of where really bright things bordered really dark things (white buiding/car, dark colored trees) .... I've heard of this. What's it called?

Are there filters that reduce this effect (eg, polarizers?)

RAH said:
Phil,
Olympus itself says that the TCON-17 is not compatible with the C-700, C-720 and C-730. However, I use it on my C-730 and it works GREAT. I have seen other postings on this forum that say it works fine with the C-700. Soooo, I would think that it should also work with the C-720.

Rich

leithp said:
I tried a TCON-17 today. You just need a 52mm-55m stepup ring. Focused fine and no noticible light falloff.

I did notice that when I took my test picture there is a purple line all along the edges of where really bright things bordered really dark things (white buiding/car, dark colored trees) .... I've heard of this. What's it called?

Are there filters that reduce this effect (eg, polarizers?)
What you are seeing is called Chromatic Abberation. Here is a link to check it out further.
http://farside.ph.utexas.edu/teaching/302l/lectures/node126.html

Most purple fringing can be removed in Photoshop, Photoshop elements and to a lesser degree (for me anyway) in PaintshopPro.

Last edited:
This problem is supposed to exist even without the TCON-17. From what I've read, it is very common in just about all current digital cameras with big zoom lenses. I suppose the TCON-17 might exagerrate the problem.

There is no real structural difference between your C720 and my C700. I use a CLA-4 adapter which screws into the camera body where the lens array enters the camera.
My Tcon-17 attaches to this and gives me a brighter image than the camera alone does. I do not get any noticable chromatic abberration. I was put off for a while by the Olympus site info. regarding the Tcon being suitable only for later C-series models. Perhaps Olympus need a new Marketing Manager, the current one is pretty useless from a consumers point of view.
I suggest you try your camera& Tcon-17 using a CLA-4 adapter. I suspect this will solve the chromatic abberation problem.
Note that when you use this lens you must zoom it to avoid the vinagetting.
Robert

Hey, thanks everyone! I got a TCON17 and a 52-55 mm stepup ring to go from my other adaptor for 52 mm threads.

I do get the chromatic aberations when taking s highly challenging shots (dark against bright backgrounds) -- but I found I get that with the regular lens anyway, this just amplifies it. Normal shooting conditions show no noticible aberation.

So look out, finches!

Thanks for everyone's help!

bigbadja said:
There is no real structural difference between your C720 and my C700. I use a CLA-4 adapter which screws into the camera body where the lens array enters the camera.
My Tcon-17 attaches to this and gives me a brighter image than the camera alone does. I do not get any noticable chromatic abberration. I was put off for a while by the Olympus site info. regarding the Tcon being suitable only for later C-series models. Perhaps Olympus need a new Marketing Manager, the current one is pretty useless from a consumers point of view.
I suggest you try your camera& Tcon-17 using a CLA-4 adapter. I suspect this will solve the chromatic abberation problem.
Note that when you use this lens you must zoom it to avoid the vinagetting.
Robert

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back