• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

astro adapter Fieldscope DS eyepieces (1 Viewer)

lflip

Can anybody tell me if there are adapters on the market for using Fieldscope DS eyepieces in astro scopes?

If so, where can you buy them?

Yep on Astromart. $35 US paypal don't know if they will send overseas. Tuey ad on there is from 10/2010 so might take a while for the guy to reply. I thought of getting one myself but wanted to try just holding one of my Nikon zoom eyepieces up to my 100ED

Last edited:
This fellow makes these.I would save a picture and show you, but don't like to w/o permission. Well I have permission now. He says these are $35 each and will ship USPS out of U.S with buyer paying difference.

Attachments

• 704194.jpg
    704194.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 367
Last edited:
Hi Steve,

Do you screw the eyepiece in the adapter, like you screw the eyepiece in the scope?
If not how is the eyepiece attached to the adapter?

By the way, I recently came across an ad on Ebay in which a Nikon Fieldscope DS eyepiece was offered. The ad mentioned that with a Delrin adapter the eyepiece could be used in an astro scope. I sent him a mail about this adapter but did not receive a reply. With Google I did not find any clues.

Hi Flip, The fellow Mark said he was going to sell a Nikon zoom Fieldscope eyepiece with the adapter with it. I looked and didn't find anything on US ebay, but did not do a big search or anything. He is not making any more of these and one reason he is getting rid of the eyepiece. I don't think he has posted this yet.The adapter is threaded, so you would thread the eyepiece into it. That is one reason he has the Fieldscope eyepiece to make sure it worked ok etc. All I have are the two zoom fieldscope eyepieces, old one and the higher power newer one.

If you look close the adapter on right in the picture you can see threads.

Last edited:
Hi Steve,

I also couldn't find the ad on Ebay. Guess it's gone.
I remember that this guy didn't offer the adapter with the DS eyepieces.

I will wait for a reply from the Astromart guy.

I just tried my "big" Nikon Spotter zoom in my Orion 100ED scope and it worked good as it is, but you would have to worry about it coming out of course. The adapter would probably add a little exta magnification to the eyepiece.
Need a PM to sort this out. Are a member of Astromart? Forgot to say the zoom eyepiece in the picture is the one I have.

Last edited:
I am not a member of astromart. Is that a problem?

Yes, I still have the TV85. I have the impression you've checked me out.

I thought that I remembered you posting before on here and checked out to jog my memory.:) This is not a problem is it?
Yea, The reason for the PM on here.

Last edited:
lflip, I found this thread on focal length of 78/82 Fieldscope 525mm 60mm Fieldscope 420mm and 50ED Fieldscope 280mm
http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=51815&highlight=nikon+fieldscope+focal+length

So with the "big" Nikon zoom used in a 600 focal length scope you should get 28x to 85.7 x That would be zoom eyepiece 7mm to 21mm + or - well actually 21mm to 7mm
That is if I figured it out right. This fits with me comparing the big zoom at lowest setting and another 20 mm eyepiece I had to compare the Nikon zoom in my 100ED. I wondered why the view got a little dim at 128X on a very dark day towards evening just trying this eyepiece .;)

Last edited:
Hi David,

Your weblink doesn't show the right page of this webshop.
I can's discover an adapter.

Steve, thanks for being helpful.

I couldn't find an adapter on that site the David posted.

lflip, I sent the item you needed this time, must be old age on my part.;) You are welcome.

lflip,

If you don't find the adapter on the web page, use the contacts of the company and ask for it - when I bought it, I also had to ask for it.

Hi I've just joined on to this thread after using a 38W (in ED 82) in my 6" SCT and it's great! It does however only just fit the diagonal and is not all that secure so I would like to buy a 1.25" adapter. Has anyone actually found a reliable source? If so please can you share the details?
many thanks
Neil

I've just contacted SRB-Griturn, based in Bedfordshire, UK, and they would make a one-off adapter for Nikon Fieldscope current eyepieces to fit 1.25" astro barrel for £40, or if a run of five at £17 each in black-anodised aluminium. If an additional thread(48mm I think), was needed on the barrel to take filters and screw-in barlows that is a little extra. He does not know what length to make the actual adapter to allow for correct back-focus....anyone know how long the Astromart ones are?

However, Ian there would need the loan of an eyepiece to make it/them up, and I only have the one eyepiece. I would certainly like one myself.

Steve

Hi Woodhornbirder, Steve, Neil, Ian and Moororless,

I have a spare MCII Zoom that I can send to get these made, I'd like a couple myself. Who did you talk to at SRB-Griturn and maybe it's worth getting 10 made?

Best,

George

ggeo'at'talktalk.net

Last edited by a moderator:
Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back