• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Baby pigeons rescued from Royal Navy warship (1 Viewer)

Kits

Picture Picker
Two baby pigeons found abandoned on a Royal Navy aircraft carrier have been flown ashore to be safely looked after by the RSPCA.

The pair were found on the HMS Queen Elizabeth by a sailor who heard them tweeting on a high ledge on deck.

Estimated to be about 10 days old, the chicks were discovered shortly after the ship left Portsmouth.

They were syringe-fed porridge and water on board before being flown by helicopter to RNAS Yeovilton, Somerset.

The chicks, named F-35 and Lightning - after the fighter jets which are to be tested during the ship's deployment to the US - are now being cared for at the RSPCA rescue centre in West Hatch near Taunton.

Full article here.

A great P.R. scoop for our defence services, but being slightly cynical......
a. Are they wild birds or feral? Not exactly a scarce species.
b.The cost, financially and in carbon footprint of transporting them from the Royal Navy's most advanced warship.
I trust F-35 and Lightning don't cost as much in their development as their namesake.

Last edited:
A great P.R. scoop for our defence services, but being slightly cynical......
a. Are they wild birds or feral? Not exactly a scarce species.
b.The cost, financially and in carbon footprint of transporting them from the Royal Navy's most advanced warship.
I trust F-35 and Lightning don't cost as much in their development as their namesake.

I should think the Merlin was going to and from Yeovilton on an errand anyway, otherwise it would have been devilled squabs in the wardroom. HMS Queen Elizabeth has been parked up (incorrect technical term) at Portsmouth for the last few weeks so I guess these are nasty feral things. Oh well.

John

Yes, I concur that any deviation from the rotor aircraft's flight plan would be classed as operationally a training exercise. I don't think the "Old Man" in charge of HMS.QE would be too happy about this in terms of the general cleanliness of the vessel. Someone will have a behind the scenes word or two, in between smiling for the camera.......ship's biscuits for a week!

I guess she has steamed some distance since her departure several days ago since leaving her home mooring. Parking indeed.

Better behave now, bye.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back