• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

From Tim Wootton's Studio (1 Viewer)

Here's a few compositional dawings for a commission. The first two are alternatives and the last is an amalgamation following email discussions with the client.

Attachments

• layout1.jpg
    layout1.jpg
    117 KB · Views: 60
  • layout2.jpg
    layout2.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 62
  • layout38.jpg
    layout38.jpg
    230.4 KB · Views: 85
How 'bout you just do them all! Love that little fellow scuttling up the rock in the foreground of the third sketch.

Nick looks at drawings, Nick enjoys the scene that is so wonderfully conveyed, Nick has a very immature moment as he notices the puffin looking at the shag's crotch. Great stuff!

Look forward to seeing the final version. It looks a real challenge.
The gannet with its feet trailing behind is an excellent study.
Steve

Charcoal eider is amazing and so full of energy! And the latest sketches for a painting, beautiful, beautiful drawings. The previous sketches of gannets etc. reminded me very much of John Busby, by the way.

Elina

I've recently taken to carrying a tiny sketchbook wherever I go. This has meant that the 10 minute walk to school with youngest child results in aslightly more circuitous return route. It's been a fine way to start the day at the desk. Most are fairly rubbishy drawings, but the ideas are there for later use.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 72
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 76
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 67
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 105
Sorry Mike - that wasn't meant to sound like false modesty. What I meant was there are hundreds of drawings in the little books - these are among the best ones.
Have another coffee.

Last edited:
Didn't sound like false modesty Tim, just your usual self deprecation. I'm a big fan of yours and I'd put money on the rest of the rubbishy little drawings being every bit as excellent as these are, and they really are top notch.

Mike

Some wonderful little sketches. I assume these are different days, if I did this amount the kids would be waiting a couple of days for me to come back to pick them up. If we got that variety of birds every day I wouldn't get any work done either.

The waxwings are coming!! I hope we get some down this neck of the woods. Great subjects to sketch as you have shown Tim.
Steve

Cheers guys - much appreciated.

I am waiting for delivery of some new canvases so I can start the gannet painting - meanwhile;
Anyone remember the otter painting?
Anyone remember the lapwing painting?
Well, I had a bit of a fallout with both of them and decided they belonged together.

Curious, actually. I just popped back in time to find the otter image and it's exactly a year to the date that I finally stopped working on it - and here it is being reconstructed.
BUT - even stranger, the next painting I did (back in time, if you follow me) was also to re-work a previously discarded painting (seacliffs with hooded crows, this time). Must be something about November for me?

Attachments

• otter3.jpg
    otter3.jpg
    123.9 KB · Views: 68
  • laps1.jpg
    laps1.jpg
    135.8 KB · Views: 63
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    186.6 KB · Views: 58
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    144.6 KB · Views: 48
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    141.5 KB · Views: 79
Well I liked both works in progress but if you're not happy I guess I'll have to start looking forward to the amalgamated new pic.

Mike

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back