• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

From Tim Wootton's Studio (2 Viewers)

Well Mike - the landscape was already painted and it's just how the animal fitted on the ground. Nothing deep about it.

Fair enough! B :)

It's a seriously good pic this, it reminds me very much of a couple of Bateman's. Mule deer pencil drawing and one of some wolves at the edge of a snowy forest, top stuff Tim.

Mike

Have been really cheesed off with a panting which keeps looking at me from the studio (dining room) wall - so thought it would be a suitable substrate for an eider painting which I've had on my mind for a week or two. So, away went the bonxies and in their place is this . . .
I have an exhibition coming up in Feb so if this one works out, it'll be on the move.

Attachments

• flow1.jpg
    flow1.jpg
    147.6 KB · Views: 76
Gotta move on.
Pressures of commission work calls and this one is needing some attention. I've made a couple of sheets of rubbish stuff, trying to work out a few harrier shapes and then made a rough pastel layout sketch on a 30"X24" canvas.
This will be a real location - Burgar Hill, Orkney West Mainland - a place with loads of archaeology and ancient peat cuttings. The female is sitting atop one of these.

Attachments

• layout.jpg
    layout.jpg
    108.4 KB · Views: 50
  • sk1.jpg
    sk1.jpg
    125.5 KB · Views: 57
  • sk2.jpg
    sk2.jpg
    110.4 KB · Views: 52
Seascape is just great with or without eider.

It's a bit difficult to see the harriers but we all know you'll make a bang-up job of them. I think I'm moving on to another barn owl flying through a landscape, again a real place. I wonder if you can guess where?...

Mike

Cheers Mike - they are a bit faint. I've scrubbed in some umber now as a key, so perhaps they're a tad more apparent now.
Barn owl in, hmmm, ermm, Elmley or Norfolk? (just a guess).

Attachments

• umbersktch.jpg
    umbersktch.jpg
    162.9 KB · Views: 73
Shame you've got to crack on with this one because already as it is, the male harrier's sent a shiver down my spine just like when you see them for real.

Yesterday I taxied youngest daughter to the old Island for a birthday party and took the opportunity to catch up on a few species I don't see all that regularly around here. The whoopers were in the same field that they occupied all last winter - curious. The large flocks of greylags were good to see; I remember them 'fondly' from their early morning alarm calls when we lived in South Ronaldsay.
Today I was sent out for a few groceries and negotiated an hour for myself. Although b100dy freezing, I really enjoyed sitting in the open boot of the Freelander and just looking at these fabulous little ducks. I would have stayed longer but my hands were ceasing up and I started to lose concentration a bit. Plenty to work on, though.
Edit: forgot to post Edie's drawing!

Attachments

• Edie8.jpg
    Edie8.jpg
    168.2 KB · Views: 49
  • swans.jpg
    swans.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 51
  • wig3.jpg
    wig3.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 53
  • wig4.jpg
    wig4.jpg
    102.7 KB · Views: 53
  • eid1.jpg
    eid1.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 60
Last edited:
. . .

Attachments

• wig1.jpg
    wig1.jpg
    114.1 KB · Views: 60
  • wig2.jpg
    wig2.jpg
    123.7 KB · Views: 54
  • wig5.jpg
    wig5.jpg
    108.5 KB · Views: 49
  • wig6.jpg
    wig6.jpg
    114.8 KB · Views: 47
  • wig7.jpg
    wig7.jpg
    102.6 KB · Views: 41
Holywood comes to Orkney!

Great sketches too, you were obviously braver than me today, I didn't even get the book out it was so cold!

Mike

I forgot to upload Edie's drawing - that's now back on post 2,210.
Thanks Andrew, and the pencil I use here is 4B.
Cheers Jo - glad you spotted the style (nothing gets past you lasses, does it?! ;) )
Cheers Mike - nippy ain't the word.

very wigeony wigeon, I haven't even posted my wigeon from over xmas - one of those pictures where the compositional sketch is better than the finished painting.

Edie's got some admirable talent there, let's hope she keeps it up.

Well, the eiders didn't get very far.
It was one of those situations where I could see the painting, but just didn't have the ability to make it happen. I had some eideron the canvas, but they weren't up to my 'vision' so they got painted out.
However, once they had vacated the scene, there was a nice area for a couple of fulmar to move in. This is a really terrible photograph (the highlights seem to read darker than IRL) but it probably gives the idea.
Back on with the harriers next, Chris.

Edit: There were one or two issues I wasn't happy with so here's an updated (and finished) version. The top birds has had its mug remodelled and the seascape behind it was a bit too ordered for my liking, so it got roughed up a bit.
It will be included in my group of 5 to be sent to exhibit.

Attachments

• flownewlast8.jpg
    flownewlast8.jpg
    191.9 KB · Views: 77
  • Tacking8.jpg
    Tacking8.jpg
    191.7 KB · Views: 72
Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back