• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

From Tim Wootton's Studio (2 Viewers)

Thanks Sal, Paul. The idea's certainly nothing new. Note Alan was doing it a while ago and if you were to Google 'The Cave of Lascaux' - some folk were at it then (a better stab at it than me - no pun). Granted - their work perhaps doesn't sit in the 'Santa's Sack' arena as may mine, but they didn't have chimneys, so probably were unaware of the potential for such gifts! (Let's not do the obvious anachronism about St Nicholas and the Paleolithic Peoples from the aforementioned region.)
Anyway - whilst watching football (Soccer to you Beth, Peter) I knocked this one out (!).

Curious thing about the palaeolithic cave painters is that despite presumably being surrounded by birds and interacting with them on a daily basis, they almost never painted them (almost no birds at all in Lascaux). There's the occasional goose/bustard carved artefact from that period, but basically nothing painted. It's part of the wider puzzle about why the cave painters selected certain animal species to paint and pretty much ignored others even though they were common at the time- so plenty of mammoths and few reindeer etc. etc. Very few paintings of felines or other predators.

For any fans of the cave painters (shame they can't have their own thread on here) there's a more recently discovered cave Chauvet which is just mind-bending for its age (30,000 years), quality, variety.

The Chauvet crew did manage to knock out a quick owl:

http://www.bradshawfoundation.com/chauvet/images/chauvet-owl1.jpg

but as a bit of art it doesn't hold a candle (or a burning stick) to for example their lion portrait- for that and others worth a click on the orange dots here, but not if you plan on doing anything else this morning.

http://www.bradshawfoundation.com/chauvet/gallery.php

The best one yet by far, the lighted rock give tremendous dimension to the work and adds a sense of depth, a stunner this Tim...
Interesting painting on a textured surface suce as rock, makes you think about painting surfaces in general...

Great link Ed - thanks. Beautifully preserved representations and intriguing commentary (excepting the classification of 'rhino' as a predatory animal). This, and Alan's comment about painting surfaces, is making my head start to buzz.
Just a bit.

Wow, those are splendid! Actually reminds me of something a friend of mine (he is very ecological) said, when he heard I draw and paint. "You know... You're wasting paper there. Perhaps you should draw on stone." I just laughed then, but... I'm not laughing anymore, those are brilliant!

Elina

Hi Tim

Love your paintings on the slab. The depth is there and it makes the rocks look real - like a 3D effect

Carry on the great work :-O

Kathy
x

Great link Ed - thanks. Beautifully preserved representations and intriguing commentary (excepting the classification of 'rhino' as a predatory animal). This, and Alan's comment about painting surfaces, is making my head start to buzz.
Just a bit.

Also enjoyed the link Ed, thanks for that...amazing to think of these artists from so long ago should now have their work posted on Tim Wooton's art thread! Rather bizarre it would be from their point of view if one could pop back in time to attempt to explain it to them over a leg of mammoth...

As an aside have been looking at the Fair Isle site daily of late and I am seriously considering getting there next autumn to fulfill a boyhood ambition and spend two weeks birding on the island. And sod the expense. It's not just the rarities, its the commoner migrants, environment and birding history that draw me,(OK, the rarities are enough to send any red blooded birders mind racing..!;))http://www.fairislebirdobs.co.uk/latest.htmLink here...

was asked to collect a shearwater from a friend, only to find it was a razorbill - and very badly oiled (and partially eaten). My first reaction was to bin it, but partly because of the circumstances of its death, I decided to make some studies instead.
Now I'm not overly sentimental about working from dead stuff - they are what they are, but this one was quite difficult knowingthat its death (and many, many more local seabirds) was totally avoidable. It seems a ship has washed its tanks out in Scapa Flow and that is f*cking criminal!!!
So there you have it.

Attachments

• Razor.jpg
    Razor.jpg
    132 KB · Views: 106
Scary how many of these sort of casualties get washed up, sickening to say the least, but very glad you painted it.

I made a variety of sketches for this commission and this was the one chosen. I quite like bits of it up to now, yet I think I'm missing a trick somewhere. Anyway, I'll get the birds in and see how that alters things.
Any suggestions gratefully received.
24"x18" acrylic on canvas.

Attachments

• laps1.jpg
    laps1.jpg
    135.8 KB · Views: 109
Looking good, Tim! I think my only potential nit would be the circular arrangement of the painting's subjects around a central point, with nothing to occupy the space they frame. Perhaps moving the upper right bird closer to the left, or send it further off into the distance, to follow the direction that the horizon and the stone wall leads?

Yes - that's very good Jo. I was wondering about that area and I think your suggestion could work. Many thanks for your insight. I also think the addition of darker cloud-shadows on the hillside will add some further interest (?).

I made a variety of sketches for this commission and this was the one chosen. I quite like bits of it up to now, yet I think I'm missing a trick somewhere. Anyway, I'll get the birds in and see how that alters things.
Any suggestions gratefully received.
24"x18" acrylic on canvas.

Maybe move the smaller rock to the right and down a bit. so that instead of being a marker for the top left bird, it becomes a connecter between that bird and the sheep/post/right hand top bird.

Alternatively, there's just room to give the sheep a speech bubble. Not sure about caption- maybe saying to the Lapwings I don't think this tumble drier is working.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back