• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New Olympus super zoom Vs?? any suggestions (1 Viewer)

Hi STS
Havn't tried the macro function yet, however I have had some sucess
with butterflies using the Olympus c770.
As for buying it , I used:
www.ukdigital.co.uk
Their bundle price including 1 gig XD, energiser fast charger with 4 x AA
and carrying case, was £352 inc postage.
Ordered on Sunday last and delivered Tuesday.
Please don't take this as a recommendation since this is the first time I've used them, I have bought from Digital Depot in the past.
The real test would be when something goes wrong.
I hope to give the camera a bit of a workout tomorrow.
I also have the 1.7 telephoto on order, which costs about £100 inc adapter.

Mick
It's your camera and I'm excited!! I keep phoning around & every one tells me they don't know when it will be in-I will be in town 1st thing tomorrow!!
I know someone has 'sort of' asked the question but
1)have you found out if you have to go wide angle and therefor close up for macro or can you use macro with zoom?
2)did they tell you when the converter is expected ?
3)how did you decide which card to go for i.e. can you get faster reading cards?
Would appreciate and early reply if possible although I'g going for it anyway.
Thanks
Dave

Mick, many thanks for the gen re your camera purchase. I look forward to hearing how you get on with it.

Last edited:
Hi Dave
I bought the XD card that came with the bundle and have never tried to obtain anything other than Olympus cards to use with my old camera.
Digital depot told me that the cameras are flying out, however, they would not have the adaptors in until next week.
As regards the macro features I have not had the opportunity to try them out yet and probably won't until butterflies and dragonflies put in their appearance.

Best Regards
Mick

Got It!!!

Went out and bought it yesterday. Got it from Wildings in Warrington. They wouldn't budge on the price £299.00 but did a deal on the card and batteries (I am prepared to pay a bit extra for personal contact and I can always go in with any problems). Have been playing around and results seem good. Have lost my USB card reader so going out for one today and will try and post some shots on this site-never done that before and I note others saying it is dificult, I'm a techni-phobe but will have a try.
One thing I can't work out is how to put it on 15 fps-I can get it to 3fps but the little 'emblems' for high speed are blanked out-any suggestions ??

super zoom

David Smith said:
Went out and bought it yesterday. Got it from Wildings in Warrington. They wouldn't budge on the price £299.00 but did a deal on the card and batteries (I am prepared to pay a bit extra for personal contact and I can always go in with any problems). Have been playing around and results seem good. Have lost my USB card reader so going out for one today and will try and post some shots on this site-never done that before and I note others saying it is dificult, I'm a techni-phobe but will have a try.
One thing I can't work out is how to put it on 15 fps-I can get it to 3fps but the little 'emblems' for high speed are blanked out-any suggestions ??
good luck with your new camera will be very interested to see some of your photos, i have been using a konica minolta z3 for the last couple of years it as 12x zoom.

phptos

David Smith said:
how are you getting on with your new camera, taken many photos yet?

Hi
Have been for a walk to day with the Camera + the 1.7, however initial results are disapointing I'm afraid.
Could be the conditions, it was very grey here all day.
Also I find the "noise" , very bad when using a high shutter speed at ISO 1600.Auto focus was also sluggish.
Nothing much to try the macro on except the odd flower.
Just hope it improves with better weather.
Mick

Mick Sway said:
Also I find the "noise" , very bad when using a high shutter speed at ISO 1600.
You should expect this. Anything over 200 is apt to be noisy with a point-and-shoot camera. They're almost all like that. These high ISOs are available in some of the newer point-and-shoot cameras as a "if you absolutely need it, it's better than nothing" capability, and as a marketing gimmick. But you can hardly expect better than fair results even at 400, and 1600 is really pushing things.

You can remove some of it with image editing (e.g. Noise Ninja).

Hopefully in a few years, things will improve...

Last edited:
Bernard
Thanks for the input, but my Computer's not the most advanced either.
Some shots attached all taken at about 12m (except the flowers),with the 1.7 tele, in very grey conditions
The little Grebe was at ISO 1600 1/1000 - not good at all.
Flowers (very small pin heads) on super macro at about 25cm.
Took loads of the Dipper but these were the best.
Regards
Mick

RAH said:
You should expect this. Anything over 200 is apt to be noisy with a point-and-shoot camera. They're almost all like that. These high ISOs are available in some of the newer point-and-shoot cameras as a "if you absolutely need it, it's better than nothing" capability, and as a marketing gimmick. But you can hardly expect better than fair results even at 400, and 1600 is really pushing things.

You can remove some of it with image editing (e.g. Noise Ninja).

Hopefully in a few years, things will improve...

Attachments

• Dipper Lathkilldale 120307.jpg
    Dipper Lathkilldale 120307.jpg
    122.1 KB · Views: 170
  • Feral pigeon, Lathkilldale 120307.jpg
    Feral pigeon, Lathkilldale 120307.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 172
  • Little grebe Lathkilldale 120307.jpg
    Little grebe Lathkilldale 120307.jpg
    140.8 KB · Views: 168
  • Flowers Money Ash 120307.jpg
    Flowers Money Ash 120307.jpg
    194 KB · Views: 151
Mick

you really need to turn that ISO down to a max of 200. The advantage you have is the image stabilisation so you need to use it.

super zooms are a compromise. they aren't a dSLR

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back