• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Little shearwater (1 Viewer)

philflam

Thinking of a holiday on La Gomera[Canaries] in February next year. are there any particular parts of the coast to see Little Shearwater from or can you see them pretty much anywhere ?

Thanks in advance

Phil Cunningham

I believe Little Shearwater are declining in the area. From my experience in La Palma clearly any headland is best, and they are best looked for after dawn and towards dusk heading to and from the colonies.

I went in May and saw several on several nights but not sure if they are nesting in February. If they aren't they would presumably be very difficult.

Stephen

Little Shearwater

Thanks for that Steve, I looked at La Palma but fthe flights are no good for me. Tony Clarke states the Little Shearwater is a winter breeder and trip reports show it is seen off Gomera at the time.

Phil

Caught the Tenerife - Gomera ferry in Dec about 15 years ago and failed to score, in fact the crossing was pretty birdless. I'm keen to know if there is anywhere where i can see them during this coming winter..?

Last edited:
They certainly don't seem to be particularly common around the Canaries. In August 2001, the wife and I made several ferry crossings: Tenerife – Lanzarote – Fuerteventura – Tenerife – La Gomera – La Palma – Tenerife – El Hierro – Tenerife. Despite watching for every hour of daylight, we recorded a decidedly unimpressive total of six Barolo Shearwaters. All were encountered no more than 10km away from islands: one near Gran Canaria, four near La Gomera, and one near Tenerife.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back