• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Eos 1D MkIII - new firmware, comments (1 Viewer)

Malcolm Stewart

I upgraded the firmware on my recently purchased MkIII yesterday, and have now had time to check out and print some of the images I took following the upgrade. (Canon UK did the sub-mirror repair last January.) I have the feeling that I am now getting the excellent results that the EF 300 f2.8L IS is renowned for, and am wondering how an upgrade of firmware could be responsible. Images shot before the upgrade and which wouldn't have challenged my 5D or 30D seemed to be not quite as sharp as I expected, or that the best focus was not where I'd expect. (Both EF 300 f2.8L IS & EF 135 f2L @ f5.6.)

Checking the timeline for the release date of Canon's recent bodies, the 1D MkIII was the first and before the 40D and 1D MkIIIs. All three had shaking of the AA filter assembly as part of their anti-dust strategy, so in one respect the 1D MkIII could be regarded as a prototype. As an electronics engineer, I know how difficult it is to control unwanted coupling between different circuits, and I am now wondering whether the problem with the pre-upgrade 1D MkIII could be that there was some unwanted but minor shake of the filter during exposure - and that the latest firmware has stopped this happening. (Other unwanted examples of this have included bars across the image from interference effects during readout etc.)

It's just a thought, and I'm offering it here for comment.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back