• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Canon 300mm F4 L Is Usm Lens (1 Viewer)

yoyo

Hi all,

I am thinking of buying this lens and a 1.4x/2x convertor. I am currently on a 350D body using sigma 170-500mm lens with the option of the 1.4x convertor, will i see far superior results or am i best to stick with what i have ?

cheers
jason

Last edited:
I used to use the Sigma 170-500 lens and am sure you'll see a real difference if you change to one of the Canon L lenses. I would expect that with the 300 f4 you'll end up using the 1.4x on it almost all the time, but even with the 1.4x om it the IQ will be better than the Sigma. The best way to tell if it's the set up for you is to get to a camera shop and try it for yourself.

With your 350D you'll only get reliable AF when using the 1.4x converter. You can try the 2x (and tape the pins as described elsewhere) and in good contrasty light you may still get AF, but AF hunting is more likely.

Or you could try the TC that IanF uses which is the non-reporting 1.5x Kenko. He recommends it I believe. Available from Bristol Cameras I think.

I have just this lens and the 1.4x (EF II CANON of course) would rarely leave it. In my neck of the woods I manage some acceptable results. THe EFII 2x can only manually focus, but in relatively good light, the images are still very good quality.

Personally, I would never buy or recommend another brand of TC for an L lens. THat's why Canon have the L series of lenses and TCs in the first place. Despite the fact that I cannot tape pins on the 2x and get AF. :)

Personally, I would never buy or recommend another brand of TC for an L lens. THat's why Canon have the L series of lenses and TCs in the first place. Despite the fact that I cannot tape pins on the 2x and get AF. :)
I have both the Canon 1.4 and Kenko Pro 1.4 (not the cheapie) and use them on a couple of Canon 'L' lenses (400mm f5.6 and 70-200 f4). After loads of test's I come the same conclusion as most people: the Kenko is as good as the Canon. Only real difference is the weather sealing on the Canon and the price (Kenko was 1/3 rd of the price of the Canon).
I have even stacked these tc's and they work together great.

I'd agree that the Kenko is basically on a par with the Canon for IQ, however it doesn't seem to behave as well with the IS. With the pins taped it retains IS on the 500 f4 but it doesn't focus properly, without tape it doesn't report, AF's fine but the IS goes wiggy. All told I'd definitely recommend going for the Canon 1.4x tc when using it with an f2.8 or f4 lens, but if you are taping the pins the Kenko whoudl be just as good.

I'd With the pins taped it retains IS on the 500 f4 but it doesn't focus properly, without tape it doesn't report,
Strange that Peter because on my 70-200 f4 it reports when not taped but then again it is not IS so this must stop it reporting somehow.

I use the 300 F4 and with the kenko attatched the af works a treat and no problems with IS going iffy either. I actually have 2 kenko pro 1.4s and have stackked the foe more reach (580mm or somewhere there abouts). But this is only acceptable in good light.

My lens definatley reports the tc because it changes the f stop to 5.6 when it is on.

Another with the 300mm f/4 and Canon 1.4x - very pleased with the results tho' the AF will stutter at very low light with the TC (no prob for me as I nearly always manual focus)

Sorry I cannot compare with the Sigma you have ...

Have just completed a trip with a 300f4, 1.4x and 2x (both EFII) on a 30d. I bought this lens for portability and am delighted with the results except BIF, but that is probably just me. Hardly ever used it without a TC. Most of the time 2x as I was shooting little tweets crawling about in the bushes and size was important, and AF couldn't cope anyway. Did have good light most of the time - was able to stop down to f11 or f16 usually. On occasion stacked both TCs and even managed a reasonable shot or two :)

To compare with your Sigma, you really need to try it yourself. The 300f4 is a fairly common lens. I would have thought you would be able to get the use of one from a BF member in your area if you tried.

The lens cost me £675 new incl p&p from Kerso. Gave up trying to buy s/h because s/h with no warranty seemed to fetch similar money.

Mike.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back