• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Help Choosing Between 3 Compacts: (1 Viewer)

Common Raven

Hello Everyone,

I need help choosing a compact binocular. I have narrowed down my choices to:

Busnhell Custom Elite 7X26 (reverse porros; formerly known as Custom Compacts?)
Leica Trinovid 8X20 roof
Zeiss Victory 8X20 roof

My budget cannot go over $500, so Ultravid 8X20 is out of the question. Primary concerns are brightness and field of view.

Thanks for suggestions & comments.

If brightness and FOV are the primary concern, go with the 7x26, no question.

If you really do care about compactness and you're willing to sacrifice a bit of the above for an awesome instrument, save a bit longer and get the 8x20 Ultravid that you say you can't afford right now. Actually, I like the 8x20 Victory quite a bit, but I think the ergonomics of the Ultravid are a bit better. My newest 8x20 Victory (dielectric coated) seems to be in the same league as the Ultravid, unlike my original unit. The 8x20 Trinovid would be last on my list--it's a fine bino, but a definite step down optically (brightness, sharpness across the field) from the others, and not as well sealed.

--AP

Can't add much more to Alexis' comments but another vote for Zeiss. If compact is important then add the Nikon Premier 8x20. Superb. Focus is one the wrong end but optically as good as the Victory which I own and really like!

Dave

My newest 8x20 Victory (dielectric coated) seems to be in the same league as the Ultravid, unlike my original unit.
--AP

Thanks for the comments, Powell & DHB. Unfortunately, I cannot get used to the Nikon's focus knob; otherwise it would be at the top of this short list. I noticed there are now two 8X20 Victory binoculars listed on most websites, one is listed as 8X20 BT*, with a leather case, and the other is 8X20 T* (and $50 cheaper). Is the BT* the one you are referring to with the dielectric coatings (and near Ultravid performance)?

I don't think there is any difference between the 8x20 Victory T and BT, it just depends on how the seller listed the Victory. The $50 price difference probably corresponds to the very newest units coming with a leather rather than cloth case. What I'm referring to is that a year or two after the Victory was introduced, it was upgraded with dielectric coatings, but I don't think that anything was changed in the name etc of the binocular. Zeiss could probably tell you what serial number marked the change. Around that same time, or perhaps a bit later, the rubber armor of the Victory got the "Victory" name molded into it in big letters on the top. If you get one like that, it is sure to have the dielectric coating.

--AP

Last edited:
[snip]
The 8x20 Trinovid would be last on my list--it's a fine bino, but a definite step down optically (brightness, sharpness across the field) from the others, and not as well sealed.

--AP

I own the Trinovid 8x20 - and have done for over 7 years. It's a pair of binoculars that has been everywhere with me, and has seen much more use than my Swaro 7x42. Light, easy to carry, very compact, gives a good image - and it would take a lot to persuade me to part with it.

BUT... I agree with your comment. It's from a previous generation of binos and has been surpassed. I can't comment on either the Zeiss or Bushnell but if the OP can wait a bit and save the extra dosh for the Ultravid 8x20 he won't be disappointed IMHO. I've got the 10x25 and it's a superb pair of bins.

Last edited:
Swaro compacts are superb. I've used a 10x25 SLC for 15 yrs, and my wife the 8x20 for ten. I just can't get used to compacts that focus in the back, it ain't natural !

Elk

Hello Everyone,

I need help choosing a compact binocular. I have narrowed down my choices to:

Busnhell Custom Elite 7X26 (reverse porros; formerly known as Custom Compacts?)
Leica Trinovid 8X20 roof
Zeiss Victory 8X20 roof

My budget cannot go over $500, so Ultravid 8X20 is out of the question. Primary concerns are brightness and field of view.

Thanks for suggestions & comments.

You ought to look at the Vortex Vanquish 8 x 26 reverse porros. Waterproof, remarkably bright and crisp with a 352 ft at 1000 yards FOV, and a lifetime warranty. For sub-$100 these are truly amazing binoculars, possibly the best binocular deal presently available.

I have had both the Leica Trinovid 10x25 BCA, and the Zeiss ClassiC 10x25 BT. I know you mentioned the Zeiss Victory, but the new Zeiss Conquest BT (the old Zeiss ClassiC) are still within your price range and would give you a waterproof set of bins.

I don't own anything larger so I can't compare them to top quality medium and full size bins made today. That's how much I like them! At the time I purchased them they provided a much better image than the medium and full sized bins in the same price range.

I find both to be plenty bright, and haven't found the narrower field of view provided by compacts to be a problem.

The biggest limitation I have found is the close focus distance. Both my bins close focus around 15 feet, and there are a number of times I wish they focused closer.

I like the twist-up eye cups on the Leica's better than the rubber eye-cups on the Zeiss, and find the Leica eye cups to be more comfortable against the face. My wife wears glasses and she finds the Zeiss more comfortable when wearing glasses.

Personally I love the double hinge design of both bins as opposed to a single center hinge as found on the Victory compacts. The double hinge design seems to allow me to get a better fit.

While both bins provide good images, but they are different types of images. The only way I can think to describe it would be to say that to me the Leica's have a flatter image, while the Zeiss seem to have a very slight curvature to them.

Good luck.

I find small high quality optics like these return a lot of fun for the money. Maybe more than other larger optics because you can carry them all the time. Many times I get a phone call or email about a bird alert and I see the bird because I have the 10X25s with me. What good are those big 10x50 FL glass bins if you don’t have them with you? I would not be birding at all during lunch at work if it were not for the high quality 10x25s offered by Leica, Nikon and Zeiss I have owned/used all 3.

Good review --> http://www.alula.fi/images/alula1-2006_GB42-47_net2.pdf

Maybe these are not the right magnification you are seeking but they are so good I feel it’s worth a mention.

Have you considered the Nikon LXL 10x25? http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/348637-USA/Nikon_7507_10x25_Premier_LX_L_.html The reports I read rated them above the 8x20s.

I have owned the Zeiss 10x25, Ultravid 10x25, and my significant other owns the Nikon LXL10x25

My needs are for a high quality, small, durable, waterproof binocular for when I am traveling light, such as bicycle touring, backpacking etc.

Ultravid 10x25 is as good as is gets when compact size is a priority. At that size there are some compromises but not many. I find the eye cups are sort of cramped. But I am not complaining. I have used these bins on several week long bicycle tours, and backpack trips and they are perfect for the job.

My significant other owns the Nikon 10x25 LXL - we compare them all the time. The Nikon 10x25 is a bit larger than the Ultravid but very portable and every bit as good under most conditions PLUS it is less expensive than the Ultravid (21% less expensive than the Ultravid 10x25). The Nikon lifetime warranty is the right thing to do for customers.

In my opinion the Nikon LXL 10x25 is better in low light conditions such as an indoor concert last week than the Ultravid (about only about 3% better). But the Nikon is worse in harsh back light conditions than the Ultravid (only about 3%) . I find myself in back light conditions all the time so the Ultravid ranks a bit higher for me. In reality – at the concert we both saw equally well. In back lighting I believe I have a slight advantage using the Ultravid. No big deal.

Keep in mind 3% is 97% equal! When you compare price/performance - Nikon comes out on top.

I have owned and sold the very high quality Zeiss 10x25. It s a great performer and has a lifetime transferable warranty. The Zeiss has the best case available for quick access and any owner of these small optics might want to consider the Zeiss case http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/328208-REG/Zeiss_52_90_33_Victory_10x25_Binocular_Pouch.html It’ is a belt case - carried horizontally - the major benefit is quick access due to the Velcro flap. Tear it open and grab it. Quick removal and quick storage. PERFECT If your on a bicycle. Nikons case is leather and has a magnetic closure. Leather made no sense to me. I am in the rain too much. Leica's case is nylon and protects very well but is a bit difficult to remove the binos from (until I stretched them with a shoe tree). Zeiss got it right if quick deployment is a priority.

Color is great on all of these (compared to all the other X25 offerings). What you prefer is up to you but I observe the Nikons as exaggerating color a little. That makes for a “wow” view but I believe the Leica’s are more accurate - some would say boring.

I would vote for the Ultravid and Nikon over the Zeiss on the back lighting/flare category. Within Nikon and Ultravid – I give the nod to Ultravid based on back lighting. I give the nod to Nikon on ease of view. Your preference may vary.

The Nikon offers top performance @21% lower price than the Ultravids. Nikon outperforms the competition in its price range. Between the Nikon, Ultravid and Zeiss (in alphabetic order) there are slim differences all are worthy optics with some personality differences.

Nikon has chosen to put he focus knob on the front of the bridge, far from your nose.
Zeiss put a VERY small focus knob, off center on the off center bridge, close to your nose. Its not a problem
Leica put it in the center of the bridge above your nose.
Once you adjust your brain, all 3 are easy to use.

All three will fit in your shirt pocket. All 3 can be used all day without eye strain. Nikon POPS into focus. Leica is slightly smaller and is as good or better optically. Zeiss is solidly built, and if you exclude back lighting performance (its noticible when compared to the others) its an equal performner in other conditions. Perhaps Alexis can comment on the Zeiss flare control on the newer models.

Both my significant other and I carry the 10x25s in our brief cases for lunchtime birding and while bicycling on a week long bicycle tours. For us they are a must have in order to get the most out of our fun time..

None of these are equal to or even close to a 10x32 or 10x42. If you think you will end up owning several pair of binoculars - the 10x25 Leica, Nikon and Zeiss might be considerations for your list.

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=71055
http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=73203

A larger bin at half the price which I own and like is the Pentax DCLV. It not quite compact enough for bicycle riding but will fit in a brief case. Good image – not up to the performance of the 3 above but good glass for the money and the quality of image won’t be a limit on your birding. Its bright, has good color. More sensative to back lighting than the above bins. http://www.eagleoptics.com/index.asp?pid=5180

Good birding
TVC

Attachments

• IMG_6259.JPG
    IMG_6259.JPG
    49.3 KB · Views: 120
  • IMG_6260.JPG
    IMG_6260.JPG
    53.9 KB · Views: 116
  • IMG_6263.JPG
    IMG_6263.JPG
    59.5 KB · Views: 133
Last edited:
consider this

I have had the nikon 8x20 lxl for several months and it is excellent. I thought the focus would be a problem but after about 10 minutes it was no longer a problem. I took a friend to the store this past saturday and after intense side by side examination he and she (it was a mothers day gift)choose the nikons over the Leica (the zeiss was quickly dismissed). I looked through all 3 as well and think it is a close call between the Leica and Nikon -- but the field of view and depth of field seems a bit better for nikon. Also the focus adjust was smoother (w/o any play). Still the Leica is very good -- I think you will be happy either way -- as stated elsewhere size is really the factor that results in having them with you when you would not carry regular size bins. Fyi this size suffers in low light

Hope this helps
Spunky12

To me this choice isn issue of how compact do you need the binocular to be. Alexis pretty well said it. I have the Baush & Lomb 7x26 version and the optics are simply outstanding. They are not however, nearly as compact as the others on your list. The 7x26 will fit in the pocket of something like a safari or fishing shirt and in the pockets of most vests and jackets, but you really know you are packing something there. For a fanny pack etc, they are fine. If you need real portability, the others on your list are better. Also I'd not go higher than 8x for a compact regardless of who made it or what it cost. Higher magnification is usually too much of a liability in a small binocular as far as holding it steady.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back