• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Digitising slides with Canon kit (1 Viewer)

JCL

Slides... remember them?

In the days when I used 35 mm transparencies, I have vague memories of a mate doing copies of particularly good slides by using a widget that he attached to his SLR, somehow (between body and lens? instead of lens?). I never did it myself, unfortunately

I'm now keen to digitise my slides. Does anyone know how I would go about doing this without scanning - i.e. whether it is feasible to attach said widget to 30D/40D and write them to memory card? Or am I living in the land of clouds and Cuculidae?

If a scanner is the way forward, anyone got any recommendations? I see that Warehouse Express are knocking 40% off the price of one particular Canon scanner over this bank holiday weekend.

ta

James

It can be done by placing the slides on a lightbox and then using a macro lens to photograph the slides. I've tried it with some of mine but the results are quite mixed. If the lighting is soft and subtle on the original slide it seems to work better. I've always thought it should be possible to use a slide projector to project the photo onto a wall or screen and photograph them that way, but for some reason it doesn't seem to work very well.

Last edited:
I have also taken macro shots of film (in my case, historic glassplate negatives), using a lightbox behind. It works fairly well, but is pretty difficult, especially the focusing.

A scanner is definitely a better option. I mean, when you think about it, it is essentially a camera set up to take macro shots of anything on the bed, but in a MUCH more controlled environment.

I would recommend a flat-bed scanner (more flexible for other stuff). If you have the bucks, the Epson V700 is considered very good, and you can do 12 slides at once.

Had one of those cheap slide copiers once in the days of film, scanning is far easier - but a lot lot slower.

The alternative of bellows, slide holder and macro lens is easier to use but expensive.
Diffuse TTL controlled flash usually got exposure right, hated dim light boxes preferred several hundred watts from copy stand for focussing. (Easy home made alternative use domestic spots bounced off white card reflector.)

Rephotographing slides tends to boost contrast - so if you try it be prepared to adjust accordingly.

Used to get best results from glass plates from creating a high quality contact print and rephotographing on a copy stand, never tried scanning one though - must give it a try.

I've had a go, and it can be much quicker than using a scanner. I tried using a Nikon Coolpix CP4500 and my EOS 10D. The Coolpix, despite my using its dedicated slide holder was near useless, as it was impossible to reduce its contrast low enough for the more dramatic looking slides. The 10D was much better.

My recommendations would be:
1 reduce contrast in DSLR to its lowest
2 arrange some form of jig so that slides can be easily and precisely placed in position, otherwise you will not save any time.
3 check results from DSLR fairly frequently - just in case the clamp is slippng...

I've now added an LPL enlarger film holder to help holding 35mm film flat, but I've yet to make the jig holding everything in precisely the same position from shot to shot.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back