• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bird Guide - the one (2 Viewers)

jimmyjames

Hello all,

I bought Sasol on pdf for kindle but it's not really a field guide, only one bird per page - seems as if it would be very hard to use.

Can someone tell me please, which is the best one for Southern Africa (Namibia, Botswana included if possible).

Thanks

Hello all,

I bought Sasol on pdf for kindle but it's not really a field guide, only one bird per page - seems as if it would be very hard to use.

Can someone tell me please, which is the best one for Southern Africa (Namibia, Botswana included if possible).

Thanks

Have no knowledge of ebooks and PDF, but in paper at least, Sasol is the one, certainly does not have one bird per page and really is all you need for the entire sub-continent.

Hi Andy, thanks for the heads up Jos.

Not sure how far North I will go yet Andy, definitely Etosha, and am considering Botswana then back to Central Namibia and later South Africa.

Would like one book to rule.. one book to cover the Southern part, am finding out that might not be possible... was trying to avoid carrying a book but is often more convenient... will buy out there if I do.

How did you two get along with accommodation? I am looking for hostel level digs as I have several months and need to stretch out the budget somewhat.. seems very tricky to get anything cheaper than 800 Nab per night.

Not sure how far North I will go, definitely Etosha, and am considering Botswana then back to Central Namibia and later South Africa.

How did you two get along with accommodation? I am looking for hostel level digs as I have several months and need to stretch out the budget somewhat.. seems very tricky to get anything cheaper than 800 Nab per night.

Sasol fine for all of Namibia, Botswana and South Africa.

Backpackers are in most Namibian and South African towns, camping is also pretty good way in these countries if you can carry a small tent, especially if you are planning to spend time i the national parks (where the campsites are generally very good). You might wish to skip Botswana if budget is an issue.

Hi

The Roberts Birds iPhone app is excellent and so are their field guides - they pretty much cover Southern Africa comprehensively. The app also has calls on it so pretty good all round. The SASOL app is just okay.

Hope this helps

John

Hi Andy, thanks for the heads up Jos.

Not sure how far North I will go yet Andy, definitely Etosha, and am considering Botswana then back to Central Namibia and later South Africa.

Would like one book to rule.. one book to cover the Southern part, am finding out that might not be possible... was trying to avoid carrying a book but is often more convenient... will buy out there if I do.

We camped for the most part

As Jos says, Namibia, Botswana are completely covered in SASOL but if you do venture in to Zambia, you don't have to go that far to be out of range. Zambia's only endemic (Chaplin's Barbet) is not in Sasol and it's not that far up.

A

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back