• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

cheap(er) Swarovski option (1 Viewer)

dylan

United Kingdom
I went to Kay Optical (Morden) to buy an astro eyepiece for my Swarovski and was told that 2nd hand AT80 scopes were becoming available as people 'trade up', normally these are very hard to find. After Andys recent digiscoping day I thought this info may be useful to anyone considering one of these scopes.

Dylan.

Thanks for the tip Dylan, I see what you mean. I'd love one myself, but they're still a bit out of my league :-C

Yes, there will be a few more on the secondhand market now there is the new Swarovski ATS/STS80hd. Previously there hasn't been anything to upgrade to if you owned an 80hd (well, a Questar if you're a masochist!)
A poster today on a digiscoping group said they'd compared the old 80hd to the new ATS80hd (with digicam and naked-eye) and they still found the older version optically superior?
I'll stick with my old 80hd thank you ;) Diminishing returns at that level.
Andy

"compared the old 80hd to the new ATS80hd (with digicam and naked-eye) and they still found the older version optically superior?"

Andy,

The comment pasted above stopped me as I was calling to order the ATS 80HD. I have not seen similar sentiments posted and would be very interested if this is a prevailing opinion. My primary purpose for purchase is digiscoping and if the old scope is better then I certainly want to go that route.

Thank you - your postings and web site have been very helpful; to me.
Ed Broderick

Always pays to trial if you can Ed recently tried the new Zeiss and its pants, Kowa outperformed it even the dealer said it is poor value for the money but at the end of the day it is still a personal opinion and try before you buy is the answer.

OT you a Pink Fairies fan Andy?

edbroderick said:

Andy,
The comment pasted above stopped me as I was calling to order the ATS 80HD. I have not seen similar sentiments posted and would be very interested if this is a prevailing opinion. My primary purpose for purchase is digiscoping and if the old scope is better then I certainly want to go that route.

Thank you - your postings and web site have been very helpful; to me.
Ed Broderick

Hi Ed, that was just an opinion from a digiscoper a while ago.... I haven't heard anyone say it's worse than the old AT80HD, but neither have I seen anyone say it's better (some have mentioned extra contrast... I haven't done a side by side). I've looked through an ATS80 but nothing struck me as being better than the AT80...... Though the main lure is it's weight and size. I can't imagine it's optically worse than the older version.
Andy

cuddy said:
Always pays to trial if you can Ed recently tried the new Zeiss and its pants, Kowa outperformed it even the dealer said it is poor value for the money but at the end of the day it is still a personal opinion and try before you buy is the answer.

OT you a Pink Fairies fan Andy?

Exactly, anyone who buys blind deserves no pity. I still say the Zeiss 85FL resolves more detail at 30x+ than the competitiors and gives a brighter image (it should do).... in terms of an eye-pleasing image and user-friendliness, that could be a different story.
Andy
DO IT, DO IT, DO IT (Live Glastonbury Fayre version, obviously)

Cuddy.

Perhaps this should be under the Zeiss section, but I use a Diascope, and I cannot see what the problem is, yes it is a matter of opinion. I happened to look at the Zeiss web site for other info, and after seeing you thread, I cannot see a Zeiss dealer in your part of the country, are they a Zeiss dealer.

Sick as a parrot! i've only had my swarovski 60hd since march,i've treated it like a baby,even covered it up and put in a cupboard when i got home,imagine my horror last week as a loose tripod leg sent it gently lens first into some soft gravel.That was lucky nice soft landing.fat chance.On landing it must have shot gravel up the lens hood,when i look it was as if soap flakes were stuck to the glass,unfortunately they were chips in the lens .I had my old Optolyth for ten years ,and only ever got one very small nick on the lens. I'm gutted

mike4co said:
Sick as a parrot! i've only had my swarovski 60hd since march,i've treated it like a baby,even covered it up and put in a cupboard when i got home,imagine my horror last week as a loose tripod leg sent it gently lens first into some soft gravel.That was lucky nice soft landing.fat chance.On landing it must have shot gravel up the lens hood,when i look it was as if soap flakes were stuck to the glass,unfortunately they were chips in the lens .I had my old Optolyth for ten years ,and only ever got one very small nick on the lens. I'm gutted

Heart felt sympathies from this end. I hope the tripod has been severely kicked!
From what I have heard, Swarovski (certainly Swaro' U.S.) are quite sympathetic to 'us' clumsy birders.

They'll almost certainly send it back to Austria.... it's whether they'll charge you for the repair and whether they'll loan you a replacement scope.

The scope has gone back to swarovski via Kays who i brought it from,Kays tell me if the lens has to be replace (which they feel it will)it is one of a matched set so the whole set of lens within the scope will have to be replaced,ouch! it will be gone at least four weeks as it is being sent back to Austria.Good news is that i took out extended cover on my home insurance to cover my birding gear.So i'll only have to fine the excess and a bit of postage.

mike4co said:
The scope has gone back to swarovski via Kays who i brought it from,Kays tell me if the lens has to be replace (which they feel it will)it is one of a matched set so the whole set of lens within the scope will have to be replaced,ouch! it will be gone at least four weeks as it is being sent back to Austria.Good news is that i took out extended cover on my home insurance to cover my birding gear.So i'll only have to fine the excess and a bit of postage.

Mike, if the end of the swaro's are threaded it might be worth your while to find a uv filter for it, that will keep this from happening again, i'm always fearful of scratching my scope.

With reference to the comments by Paulyoly to add a protective filter to the 'scope, and his comments in the thread "Adding filters to scope" saying that large size filters are expensive, in the UK Jessops Skylight 82mm filter costs 49GBP and 7dayshop.com have one for 15GBP - (I have no connection with these companies, only as a customer!)

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back