• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Ultravid 8x42 or 8x32? (1 Viewer)

knot

I've read on Leica site that the 42's have twilight factor of 18, and the 32's have a factor of 16.
I field conditions does the lower factor really make very much difference in the light gatherind stakes?
I do very little early dawn or late dusk birding, so it probably doesn't really matter that much, I just don't want to make an expensive mistake!!
I appreciate that need to try out both, but trying to find a local stockist that actually have both is proving to be difficult.
I do like a small pair of binoculars so I'm erring towards the 32's, but I would I would ask your opinions first.

Many thanks for any replies,

knot.

Knot I have just changed my bins and have purchased the Ultravids 7x42,they are superb.If you find a dealer near you suggest you compare the 7s with the two 8s.I dont think you will be disappointed.

POP

Personally I far prefer the 8x42s to the 8x32s - for me the 8x32s are just too small, they're not much bigger than compacts and I just cannot get on with them. That said the 8x32s are optically excellent and I doubt you'd notice the difference in light gathering - it probably only really notices for about 10mins (if that) at each end of the day!

I also use the 7x42 ultravid and highly recommend trying them too, they are something special.

Thanks guys never really considered the 7x42's.
I've just seen that Leica Optics will be at the Lee valley Bird fair in a couple of weeks, I'll hang on untill then and have a good look at all three pairs.

knot.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back