• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Close the shutters!! (1 Viewer)

Steve Lister

Senior Birder, ex County Recorder, Garden Moths.
United Kingdom
A plea

When I started birding thirty-odd years ago one of the first things I learned was to close the shutters in a hide when I left. Two reasons; leaving them open could let the rain in and then you have wet seats and shelf, and leaving them open could cause birds near the hide to be startled when the door is opened.

Nowadays it seems the norm to leave the shutters open. It only takes a second or two to shut them, so please do !!

It seems that many simple customs are no longer followed and it is detracting from the birding experience in todays hobby.

From my viewpoint i try to understand others way of enjoying birds but if something they do is detrimental to the allover birding experience then i speak up at the time if i can and ask them to close the shutters, keep the noise down, stop trying to get to close, etc. as long as you take the time to explain you usually get a posotive result.

Its in our hands to make it good for all.

I was in a hide in Norfolk last week. A group left leaving all the windows open - bad enough - and then left the door open and banging in the wind. These were older people (even older then me at 50!)- the sort who often complain about young people having no manners.

Steve Lister said:
A plea

When I started birding thirty-odd years ago one of the first things I learned was to close the shutters in a hide when I left. Two reasons; leaving them open could let the rain in and then you have wet seats and shelf, and leaving them open could cause birds near the hide to be startled when the door is opened.

Nowadays it seems the norm to leave the shutters open. It only takes a second or two to shut them, so please do !!

I've only been bird watching for just over a year and I'm often surprised how many people just get up and leave the shutters open! If it's hot, I'll ask other birders if they want me to leave my shutter open as I leave, on the assumption that they will close it when they leave. Other than that, it's just like getting into a car and putting your seat belt on, everyone should do it without having to think about it! B :)

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back