• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Swarovski LCE ATS HD 65 Stay on case quick review (2 Viewers)

midlandsbirder

After reading threads on stay on cases for Swarovski ATS HD 65 or the 80 version, I thought I would give a quick review and post a few pics of the London Camera exchange (LCE Optics) stay-on case (made for them by CCS)

I bought the official Swaro version for my scope thinking it would be ‘the best’ at around £116.00 but ;
Swarovski Case
Negative points
The worst feature was that when you are in a hide using a hide-clamp and the scope is too high, rather than looking around for piles of cushions to raise you up, you have to remove the case to use the scope swivel feature, which brings it down to eye level, so much for stay-on! The other problem is if it rains, the water runs inside between the case and scope (through the focusing wheel aperture) I know the scope is waterproof but if you don’t take the case off when you get home you will end up with mildew and condensation. The focusing wheel (audibly) rubs on the inside of the case when in use. The eye piece cover has a zip, which makes it slow to remove from the eye piece. You have to remove the objective lens plastic cap, while using the case (on the 65) the carry strap is a little on the thin side. You have to unzip slightly to pull out objective lens sun shade.
Positive points
It looks good, it is well padded. It is a nice colour.

L.C.E. Stay-on Case
Positive points
Price at £59.00 incl. P&P mail order. You can leave the plastic objective lens cap on with case Fitted. If it rains the scope is completely covered. No zips on the eye piece cover, it is on a flat elastic fixing. Just undo the press stud and pull off. The best bit! The removable middle section is press studded at the top and Velcro’d all round, just lift the flap, to access the focusing wheel and even if it is raining the wheel and your hand is under the cover! The even better bit, you can swivel the scope around (down) to eye level without removing the scope. The strap is wide and fixed off centre back and front so it hangs evenly
Negative points
The end caps are not removable, so when the wind catches them it moves the scope. Like the Swaro case you have to undo some Velcro to pull out the sun shade.

These are my personal views, concluded from owning and using both cases. I have no connections with either of the above manufactures.
John Chapman

Attachments

• all access.jpg
    all access.jpg
    419.3 KB · Views: 663
  • all on.jpg
    all on.jpg
    341.5 KB · Views: 507
  • ends off.jpg
    ends off.jpg
    359.8 KB · Views: 371
  • hide position.jpg
    hide position.jpg
    280.6 KB · Views: 473
Not wishing to hijack this thread, if anyone's interested i have a LCE case for sale. It's for the angled 65, it's in good nick and is yours for £20.

Cheers

Graeme.

I have a Swaro case on my ATS 80. I solved the problem of the focus wheel catching on the protective case .The problem is the zip seam which does not lie flush to the case body. I got some material glue to fix it. Swarovski take note, we should not have to go to these lengths to get our kit to work correctly!

I just acquired a used 80 ATS HD with Swaro' case, all exactly the same vintage as this old thread! Just to say what a delight the 'scope is in use, except the audible rubbing of the case on the focus wheel. I thought I was doing some thing wrong, or the kit was a faulty fit. How reassuring to find this written up by you two guys. Thank you, and I am about to try the glueing work-around.
Rob

I just acquired a used 80 ATS HD with Swaro' case, all exactly the same vintage as this old thread! Just to say what a delight the 'scope is in use, except the audible rubbing of the case on the focus wheel. I thought I was doing some thing wrong, or the kit was a faulty fit. How reassuring to find this written up by you two guys. Thank you, and I am about to try the glueing work-around.
Rob

Rob
Hi Rob, if you are still not happy after glueing the seam you could try using some self adesive fibre pads. They are used to stop ornaments from marking surfaces. Stick them around the inside of the soc where the focus wheel is accessed and this will lift the soc away from the scope body and let the focus ring move as it should. Hope this helps , Gareth

Users who are viewing this thread

Back