• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Swaro Eyepieces (1 Viewer)

I am thinking of getting the ATS80 and am undecided on the eyepiece to get. I have always used a 30x ep, sometimes wishing that I had a zoom. I can only get one ep at the moment so opinions on either a fixed or zoom apprieciated. This forum has helped already.
Cheers

I am long time devotee of 30w. Owned a 20-60 zoom for 2 years, the second one of which it stayed in the case, so I sold it. Rarely if ever gained more from 60 mag than I could see in bright, wide, revealing view from 30W. Also makes birds easier to find and follow.Simply easier to use on a long outing and great view.

Admitted this is with a 60mm (Fieldscope ED3) scope, so 80mm should not suffer from image darkening above 50x or so and in poor light. I also understand that the Nikon zoom has more 'drainpipe' effect than other top makes.

All the same, if you can only have one, my money would go on 30xW every time.

Might be worth considering also why so mnay threads like this one use 30W as standard for comparison. Maybe its hard to beat?

Maybe you have to balance very occasional missed ID (according to ID gurus) against a bundle of all the time benefits. Good trade-off IMO

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back