• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Southern African Forum (2 Viewers)

Dave,

Thank you for the websites - they will be very helpful. Also, thanks for the photos as they do whet our appetites. 3 of the 4 of us are photographers so we'll see if we can do as well as yours. Thanks also for the tip about post #22. I had discovered it a couple of days ago.

An English friend of ours, when he found out we were planning a trip to SA, said that he thinks your country is the most beautiful he has visited - we're very much looking forward to the trip. In 4 weeks time we will be in the air on our way.

Charlie Campbell (india)
Colorado, USA

Charlie - you must thank your friend for his kind words. It is appreciated.

Now - some more info re Phinda.....

Phinda birding specials include Southern Banded Snake Eagle, African Finfoot, Whitebacked Night Heron, Narina Trogon, Rudd’s Apalis, Yellowspotted Nicator, African Broadbill, Green Twinspot, Pinkthroated Twinspot, Neergaard’s Sunbird, Lemonbreasted Canary, Redwinged Pratincole, Gorgeous Bush Shrike, and Cuckoo Hawk. Rarities are Pel’s Fishing Owl, Palmnut Vulture, Natal Nightjar, Black Coucal and Dwarf Bittern.

Note that African Broadbill also hangs out in the Sand Forest. In November, during a boat trip on the Mzinene River, I found Pygmy goose. Such boat trips can be organised from Mountain Lodge. Just ask when you get there - and don't forget to tell them up front that you are interested in birds.

Best wishes,
Dave Kennedy

PS - Don't forget we'll all be looking forward to reading your trip report! Have a great time.

Last edited:
Dave,

I try to do lots of birding "homework" before any trip so all the info you have provided will give me an excuse to ignore our current presidential selection process - much to my delight!

I have to be a bit careful with the birding. Although my wife, Deborah, is getting to be a very good birder, our friends are not as interested. So, I need to recognize that this is not exclusively a "birding" trip, but rather an adventure for all of us during which we will see some beautiful birds along with many other wonderful animals and sites.

I will put together a report after we get back.

Thanks again,

Charlie

Dave,

I have to be a bit careful with the birding. Although my wife, Deborah, is getting to be a very good birder, our friends are not as interested. So, I need to recognize that this is not exclusively a "birding" trip, but rather an adventure for all of us during which we will see some beautiful birds along with many other wonderful animals and sites.

Charlie

Point taken, Charlie - been there, done that and got the t-shirt. Remember, however, that animals are bloody good at hiding - you need patience and good fortune to achieve high-quality game sightings. But when the lions are hiding, and the elephants are nowhere to be found, good bird sightings can enliven a bush excursion perfectly. Chances are that your friends will be better birders when they leave than when they arrived.

So here's some Phinda pics for your friends.
Dave Kennedy

Attachments

• Dung beetle.jpg
    Dung beetle.jpg
    222.4 KB · Views: 112
  • Elephant.jpg
    Elephant.jpg
    260.2 KB · Views: 114
  • Lioness.jpg
    Lioness.jpg
    179.7 KB · Views: 106
  • Nyala - mother & young.jpg
    Nyala - mother & young.jpg
    156.7 KB · Views: 104
  • Senegal Lapwing.jpg
    Senegal Lapwing.jpg
    200.2 KB · Views: 119
Last edited:
HI All

just got back from trip to Western Cape for birding/wine trip.
Ive visited lots ofd countries including African but I can safely say the infrastructure, friendliness and everything else was second to none on this trip.
Briefly we did Afton Grove / Langebaan/ Franschhoek/ Plettenberg and the two plus weeeks were not enough time to even scratch the surface. I would love to repeat this trip in the spring when the flowers are in bloom, the birds are singing and the whales are around.
\didnt get time even for a pelagic- so much to do - so much birding- so much wine to drink.
will give a trip report of sorts as soon as - but just wanted to say what a fantastic country you have- a few powercuts were of minimal annoyance
cheers
Nigel

HI All

just got back from trip to Western Cape for birding/wine trip.
Ive visited lots ofd countries including African but I can safely say the infrastructure, friendliness and everything else was second to none on this trip.
will give a trip report of sorts as soon as - but just wanted to say what a fantastic country you have- a few powercuts were of minimal annoyance
cheers
Nigel

Thanks for the kind words, Nigel. Glad you had a good trip. We'll look forward to your trip report.
Best wishes,
Dave

just a quickie- can anyone confirm if this is a grey-backed cisticola - i think so but require 'expert' confirmation. thought id post here with the queries i have rather than in id posts as you guys should be the ones who can help.
first of a few id questions if you dont mind.
seen cape town btw.

cheers
Nigel

Attachments

• tn_grey-backed cisticola 2.jpg
    tn_grey-backed cisticola 2.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 102
just a quickie- can anyone confirm if this is a grey-backed cisticola - i think so but require 'expert' confirmation. thought id post here with the queries i have rather than in id posts as you guys should be the ones who can help.
first of a few id questions if you dont mind.
seen cape town btw.

cheers
Nigel

Hi, Nigel,
I quote Ken Newman et al in LBJ's - "Grey-backed cisticolas in the South-western Cape are spotted on the breast."

The pic does not show the bird's back, but the breast spotting is probably definitive here. As far as I can tell no other cisticola has breast spotting.

Best wishes,
Dave Kennedy

PS - Cisticolas in general are difficult - one often needs the call for a positive ID

heres a couple of waders for you Dave or any other experts-- seen at Plettenberg

Attachments

• tn_IMG_3888.JPG
    tn_IMG_3888.JPG
    55.3 KB · Views: 116
  • tn_IMG_3814.JPG
    tn_IMG_3814.JPG
    51 KB · Views: 114
As noted in earlier posts, we will be in SA in March. I plan on using "Birds of Southern Africa" by Sinclair, Hockey & Tarboton (Princeton Field Guide series). I see there is a
7th edition of the Robert's guide. Is it a field guide in terms of its size or is it a large format reference book? Is it readily available once I arrive in Johannesburg?

Charlie Campbell (india)

Hi Charlie
i bought the VII edition of Roberts guide in cape town - but this is definiely not a field guide at £70 and busting my hand luggage allowance. However there is a smaller fieldguide version I believe so do not despair.
Nigel

Hi Charlie
i bought the VII edition of Roberts guide in cape town - but this is definiely not a field guide at £70 and busting my hand luggage allowance. However there is a smaller fieldguide version I believe so do not despair.
Nigel
Thanks Nigel,

I think I'll wait until we arrive SA.

So while doing some pre-trip homework, I realized that there are lots of pipits and cisticolas that look just like the next one. I showed the birdbook to Deborah and asked her to help me figure out which is which before the trip. She said, "Isn't OK just to say you've seen a pipit? or cisticola? Help!

Charlie

As noted in earlier posts, we will be in SA in March. I plan on using "Birds of Southern Africa" by Sinclair, Hockey & Tarboton (Princeton Field Guide series). I see there is a
7th edition of the Robert's guide. Is it a field guide in terms of its size or is it a large format reference book? Is it readily available once I arrive in Johannesburg?

Charlie Campbell (india)
Robert's is definitely not a fieldguide. Also, all the birds are not illustrated. However, if you have a PDA, there is a PDA version available. I use Newman's or the Sasol field guides.

Howzit Guys,

Ja, ek het dit gedoen. We decided to move this thread. If there was a specific SA Forum we would have certainly left it there. This thread was in the Information Wanted:-South Africa sub-forum. As the name suggests the forum is specifically there for members to ask for information on birding in South Africa. As we said to Mr Kennedy in our pm to him yesterday informing him that we had moved his thread and why, that we know that Local Patch isn't ideal but it's better suited to the thread than 'Information wanted' was. Additionally, it will also get more exposure here.

Cheers,

Mark
Interestingly enough, quite a few of the posts in this thread are requests for info...

Surprised myself the other evening - I called up a freckled nightjar! It was almost dark when I heard it calling from somewhere to the north of the house. Freckled nightjars have a distinctive double call, not unlike a loud wolf whistle. I wandered out of the French window and attempted to whistle its call. To my astonishment the bird swooped silently over the big yellowwood in our garden and landed on the roof just to my left. I left him to it, then, and hoped he would assume he had driven the interloper away.

Talking of imitating bird calls, some time ago I followed the call of a pearl-spotted owlet and found, instead of the owl, a fork-tailed drongo mimicking the owl. All he was getting for his trouble was a mobbing by assorted bulbuls, tits and the like. I am still trying to understand what, if any, advantage the drongo gained from this behaviour. Any comments?

Dave Kennedy

Talking of imitating bird calls, some time ago I followed the call of a pearl-spotted owlet and found, instead of the owl, a fork-tailed drongo mimicking the owl. All he was getting for his trouble was a mobbing by assorted bulbuls, tits and the like. I am still trying to understand what, if any, advantage the drongo gained from this behaviour. Any comments?
Trying to attract supper?

http://bigal-sa.smugmug.com/gallery/2639857_L9gvz#140679599

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back