• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bar-tailed Godwit spring records (1 Viewer)

jimb

Hi,
I have been studying the migration passage of Bar-tailed Godwit along the south coast concerning the sub-species taymyrensis and with the first birds beginning to be reported I would love to hear from anyone who have any sightings of Bar-tails between April and the end of May. If you have any photos this would also be very helpful plus any details of ringed individuals. I have produced a paper, jointly with Hampshire Bird Report editor Alan Cox, on this subject and we are continuing to study this subject along with grounded individuals who stop off to feed up before continuing their journey north.
All records will be acknowledged.
Many thanks and good watching,
Jim

Steve,
Thanks for the response. I have the historical records for Hampshire and the Isle of Wight but would welcome any records for 2009, or prior years, from elsewhere. Barwits do move in smaller numbers up the Severn and then across country to the North Sea so it would be interesting to collate these as well.

Jim,

A single Barwit was seen at Tice's Meadow (SU870489), Surrey on April 24th to 26th 2009 inclusive
A earlier sighting of a single Barwit was at Dorney Lake (SU924781), Bucks on 30th April to 3rd May 2007 inclusive.

Kevin

Kevin,
Many thanks for the info, much appreciated. Most of the records so far have been of single female birds - presumably yours was the same ?.

Jim

One at Rutland Water Thursday April 23rd, then ten at there on Friday April 24th, with at least six still there on Sunday 26th. Records here are obviously passage birds.

Steve

Just having a look at the Sussex Bird Report for 2007, the most recent available. It says:

'spring passage was the heaviest for at least 10 years, with a minimum total of 7840. The first record was of three past Splash Point (Seaford) on 26 March until passage began in earnest on 17 April, peaking in the last three days of the month. The highest counts came from Splash Point.......'

There is more detail in the report. It you want to know I'll put more of the text up.

We had two Bar Tailed Godwits at Carsington Water (Derbyshire) on the 24th with a single bird on the 25th, 26th and 27th.

Jim,

A single Barwit was seen at Tice's Meadow (SU870489), Surrey on April 24th to 26th 2009 inclusive
A earlier sighting of a single Barwit was at Dorney Lake (SU924781), Bucks on 30th April to 3rd May 2007 inclusive.

Kevin

Many thanks for the info, much appreciated. Most of the records so far have been of single female birds - presumably yours was the same ?.

Jim,

Both birds were male

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back