• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Meopta Meostar 8x32s. Thanks you Frank D! (1 Viewer)

I've read so many threads on here researching bins and finally came to a decision last week. I bought a pair of Meostar 8x32s after reading Frank Ds review on here and deciding they really had to be checked out.
I compared them to Swaro SLC 8x30, Vortex Razor 8x42, Vortex Viper 8x32 and used Leica Trinovid BN 8x32.
I instantly took to them as being really comfortable (optically, ergonomically and in terms of weight). The view was superior to all the others. The Swaro was good but not as good to my eye and the front positioned focus wheel was so awkward I wouldn't have bought them even if I had preferred their view. Who's idea was that? No wonder I don't see any of them in useby other birders in the field. So the Meoptas won the contest with ease.

If you haven't tried these binoculars yet, you really should they are terrific value for money. Although I didn't compare them directly to any of thetop of the range big name bins, I'm sure they can't be far away from them in terms of quality for a lot lot less money.

A big thank you to Frank for the excellent review pointing me toward such an excellent pair of bins. I spent the whole weekend with a big stupid grin on my face every time I looked through them. And a pretty smug feeling too.
Cheers Frank! I raise a toast to you.

Happy viewing,
Martin.

Sounds very impressive for that price. I got 8x20 and 8x42 now, a pair of 8x32 would fill a gap nicely ;)

Hi Kristoffer,

I tried the 8x42 in a shop some months ago and was very impressed by the view but decided they were too heavy for me. So you can see why the
8x32s werethe ones for me. I really do think they're marvellous.

By the way, what's birding like in Sweden? I work with someone that lived there for years (I believe he has Swedish ancestry) and he tells me he thinks I'd love it as a holiday destination for birding.
Any recommendations for where to go or when to go?

Best wishes,
Martin.

"The Swaro was good but not as good to my eye and the front positioned focus wheel was so awkward I wouldn't have bought them even if I had preferred their view. Who's idea was that? No wonder I don't see any of them in useby other birders in the field. So the Meoptas won the contest with ease."

Let me guess you tried to focus the Swarovski 8x30 SLC by using the diopter wheel. I have been using a Swarovski 7x30 SLC for about 20 yrs. and have had no trouble with focus. BTW glad you like the Meopta 8x32.;)
Regards,Steve

Let me guess you tried to focus the Swarovski 8x30 SLC by using the diopter wheel. I have been using a Swarovski 7x30 SLC for about 20 yrs. and have had no trouble with focus. BTW glad you like the Meopta 8x32.;)
Regards,Steve[/QUOTE]

Hi Steve,

I didn't use the diopter, I just found the focus wheel being on the front of the binoculars incredibly awkward. I doubt I could get used to using it.
A very strange design feature. Focusing with your little or ring finger feels very unnatural.
Do the 7x42s havethe focus in the smae position or is it in the usual place at the back of the bins?

Cheers,
Martin.

Well done Martin. It's nice to see someone using their own judgment to pick binoculars which are not the usual choice. They look excellent binoculars from the specs. Did you find a dealer in the Norwich area to try them or did you have to travel?

I, too, tried the Swaroviski SLC 8x30 and couldn't get on with the unusual position of the focusing wheel. Apart from that they were lovely bins.

Ron

Hi Kristoffer,

I tried the 8x42 in a shop some months ago and was very impressed by the view but decided they were too heavy for me. So you can see why the
8x32s werethe ones for me. I really do think they're marvellous.

By the way, what's birding like in Sweden? I work with someone that lived there for years (I believe he has Swedish ancestry) and he tells me he thinks I'd love it as a holiday destination for birding.
Any recommendations for where to go or when to go?

Best wishes,
Martin.

I agree about the focus wheel on the swaro, I cant understand it.

Sweden have 250 different specices nesting here, the top guys in the Swedish birding clubs has seen around 440 different birds on Swedish soil. How many do you have in UK? Nesting/Max number? The best place in Sweden is Öland (in the southeastern part) or Falsterbo (south), if you want to see many different birds.

I live in Northern Sweden, and that means I cant enjoy as many species as the guys living in the south does. But instead I got plenty of owls and birds living the mountains. And we get exciting guests from Russia and Finland. I´m not sure what is common and uncommon in UK but we get visits from Dark-throated Thrush, Arctic Warbler, Snowy Owl, Red-flanked Bluetail etc. Hope you pay Sweden a visit :)

Last edited:
Well done Martin. It's nice to see someone using their own judgment to pick binoculars which are not the usual choice. They look excellent binoculars from the specs. Did you find a dealer in the Norwich area to try them or did you have to travel?

I, too, tried the Swaroviski SLC 8x30 and couldn't get on with the unusual position of the focusing wheel. Apart from that they were lovely bins.

Ron

Hi Ron,

I got the Meoptas from Cley Spy. I expect you know it. Great shop- very wide choice of optics.
I didn't ask specifically for the Meoptas, I asked for 8x32s in that price range. They gave me the Meoptas to try and the Swaros to to compare them with even though they were out of my price range. I think this was to make sure I realised how good the Meoptas are for their price.

I liked the Swaros, good view and good size and weight but that focus is too unuserfriendly for me. I also thought the Meoptas had a beeter view and better eyerelief for my specs.
Almost the weekend- be lbirding with them again soon!
Cheers,

Martin.

By the way, the Meostars weren't on their website so I didn't know CleySpy stocked them until I got there so they were a nice surprise.

Last edited:
Thanks Martin. I had checked the Cley Spy website but couldn't see them mentioned and I hadn't noticed them when I visited the shop. It's an amazing place as they do seem to stock just about every binocular on sale. It's great to have the opportunity to try so many products against each other with no hassle to buy.

What are the accessories like with the Meostar - such as the case, strap and rainguard etc.?

It sounds to me as if Meopter are a bit like their fellow Czech company Skoda. No offence intended here: just the opposite. Both companies appear to sell products which punch well above their weight and are well made and excellent value.

Ron

What are the accessories like with the Meostar - such as the case, strap and rainguard etc.?

It sounds to me as if Meopter are a bit like their fellow Czech company Skoda. No offence intended here: just the opposite. Both companies appear to sell products which punch well above their weight and are well made and excellent value.

Ron[/QUOTE]

Hi Ron,
The accessories are nothing fancy but nothing to complain about either.
The case isn't very well padded but is well made. The strap is fine, not narrow but not extra wide either. You don't need a big strap for them though as they are quite light.
I changed the rain guard straight away for an Opticron one. The one supplied has a lip in the cups so that they kind of lock on to the eyepieces. A pain to get off in a hurry.

I should have mentioned something else ealier though. I spent quite some time looking through the demo pair from off the shelf but bought a pair in a sealed box. I had a cursory look through these to check them out and all seemed fine.
But I had to take them back to Cley Spy within the hour when I noticed a bit of detritus in the right hand view. I don't know what it was. Presumably something left over during manufacture. Cley Spy ordered a replacement no trouble. It came a couple of days later.
So a bit of a dodgy start but turned out fine in the end.
I should of checked out the actual pair I was taking away with me a bit more thoroughly before I went out the door with them.
It could happen with any optics so I was just unlucky, I think, but it's worth bearing in mind if your going to buy some.

As it happens I've been thinking about buying a Skoda for the very same reason so I understand exactly what you're saying and I think that's a good comparison. Top quality but not top dollar. Suits me fine.

Cheers,
Martin.

Martin,

I did not see this post before replying to the other one. My apologies.

Yes, the 8x32 Meostars are a bit of a sleeper. They truly perform at comparable performance levels to bins costing twice as much. I would, arguably, place them ahead, optically and mechanically, of several bins that cost significantly more.

I would love to see more and more people using them.

Though I think the American reader won't quite get the nuance.

Perhaps imagine if Yugo instead of just falling apart with Yugoslavia survived and sort of turned into a VW offshoot with the same level of quality ... that's sort of similar.

Though Meopta in some senses did that. They were a military optics manufacturer for the Czech armed forces (in the Iron Curtain days) then branched out into hunting and now seem to be going in a more general direction.

I've still not seen one let alone tried one but having real liked the field flatenner in the Canon IS 10x30 I rather suspect I might get a kick out of them.

Did Cabelas only do a 42mm "Euro" from Meopta or did they get a 32mm "Euro" too?

Martin,

I would love to see more and more people using them.

Hi Frank,

I hope more people pick up on them too. They deserve to do well. At the same time though, I like the fact that I have one of the few around.

The shop where I bought them is selling them at a good rate, I was told. They are placing regular orders with their supplier because the ones they have in stock are not staying on the shelf very long at all.
So we should start seeing more here in the UK at least. I hope they give the big names a run for their money.

Cheers,
Martin.

Did Cabelas only do a 42mm "Euro" from Meopta or did they get a 32mm "Euro" too

Yes, Cabelas had the 10x32 Euro listed at the same time as the 8x32 Meostar debuted. I have not heard a thing about it but they did have a similar pricing comparison to the 42 mm models (less expensive than their Meopta counterpart).

Martin,

I look forward to hearing further comments on the 8x32 as time passes and you get more time with them.

Frank, I am going to Cabela's next Sunday so I will have to check out the Meostars/Euro binocular.I have never been there, not going to spend any money.
Regards,Steve

Steve,

Next Sunday you say? Maybe I could get over then as well.

The optics counter is not what it was 3 or 4 years ago but they are still one of the best places to sample a variety of different optics....and don't forget to check out the bargain cave as well....even though you aren't buying anything.

;)

I was just there this past week but I don't honestly remember seeing the 10x32 Euro. I will have to ask the next time I am there as well.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back