• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Wild in Aberdeen - City and Shire (6 Viewers)

Patience guys! There are still 6 weeks of Autumn to go......so we're only about half way through. There are still migrants getting through despite the westerly airflow, so it's definately worth getting out and having a look.......you never know whats going to happen...!

That's a good point, Mark, its always better to look on the positive side, and there's still plenty of Autumn still to go. And Andrew, my apologies, it was Peterculter. ;)

House Martins Gone

This year has been the first year we've had House Martins nesting on the house and they've been a constant presence around the garden all summer. Yesterday I was outside all day painting the woodwork on the house and the Martins were very active and noisy, still going in and out of their nest, and at one point a juvenile perched on the slates just above my head.

Today I was outside putting all the guttering back up and after a while I suddenly realised that the Martins weren't there any more. The strong north-westerly breeze had obviously set them off. It's not often you can time the departure of migrants as precisely as that.

Indeed. The most likely place for it to turn up in this county would be Strathbeg of course, but the Ythan is also a likely candidate. Fingers crossed!

A Glossy Ibis was at Strathbeg briefly today, seen by David Parnaby fairly early in the morning at Starnafin. The bird then flew off and was re-located by Nick Littlewood later on that morning in a field on the road towards St Combs. All this is as per ABZ Rare Birds. Hoping it will stay in the area this weekend so I can go out and see it, but the fact it flew means it could be quite a mobile bird and thus could be gone by tomorrow. If it stays around though, that would be great. Will anyone else be going to see it if it does stay around?

A Glossy Ibis was at Strathbeg briefly today, seen by David Parnaby fairly early in the morning at Starnafin. The bird then flew off and was re-located by Nick Littlewood later on that morning in a field on the road towards St Combs. All this is as per ABZ Rare Birds. Hoping it will stay in the area this weekend so I can go out and see it, but the fact it flew means it could be quite a mobile bird and thus could be gone by tomorrow. If it stays around though, that would be great. Will anyone else be going to see it if it does stay around?

Unlikely, tomorrow I have to buy my mother's birthday, Sunday it is my mothers birthday. And she has banned me from mentioning anything that lives that isn't human or pet until we get to Skye next week (Friday). Tried to get down today but with the only driver at work it was impossible. So if that bird stays until Tuesday 20th I have a chance!:-O

I went down to see the Glossy Ibis yesterday (Saturday) afternoon, and it was showing well. It took up to 15 minutes searching though for my Dad and I to find it. It was a gorgeous bird, presumably a juvenile that was feeding just 20 feet from where we had parked on the side of the road. I managed to get some pictures of the bird without using any proper digiscoping equipment and just using zoom on my camera, but they are not fantastic due to the conditions that we were watching the bird in (light rain). Anyway, here are the best pictures I got, you should be able to tell that it is the Ibis:

2pzdxk3.jpg

2w7n6ue.jpg

2rfxy5i.jpg

Much better pictures of the bird can be seen if you go to Birdguides and check out the Glossy Ibis factfile, there should be two pictures of the bird there. ;)

Last edited:
Well, I'm off on holiday today, so before I go I thought it best to say goodbye. Hope you all have a time birding whilst I am away; ironically you'll probably see some fantastic birds when I'm not there. This week I am going to be spending in Norfolk, and will go birding on one of the days I spend there. Then the next week I will be in Corsica. Hoping to see some good birds. ;)

Happy Birding,

Joseph

As this is the forum for City and Shire,I dont know if Glentanar is in Aberdeenshire or Kincardineshire but anyway,a Crested Tit is reported from Glentanar today,which is a fantastic record for the region,as the birds are seldom seen out of the Moray and Nairn region.

As this is the forum for City and Shire,I dont know if Glentanar is in Aberdeenshire or Kincardineshire but anyway,a Crested Tit is reported from Glentanar today,which is a fantastic record for the region,as the birds are seldom seen out of the Moray and Nairn region.

That is exciting!

TS

Well, I'm off on holiday today, so before I go I thought it best to say goodbye. Hope you all have a time birding whilst I am away; ironically you'll probably see some fantastic birds when I'm not there. This week I am going to be spending in Norfolk, and will go birding on one of the days I spend there. Then the next week I will be in Corsica. Hoping to see some good birds. ;)

Happy Birding,

Joseph

You'll have gone now but hope you have a great time.

TS

After a lot of dithering, I finally managed to get up to Strathbeg to have a look for the Glossy Ibis. Found it OK alongside the St. Combs road near the turn off to Coralhill. It was conveniently standing in a very soggy grass field right next to a set of temporary traffic lights for some non-happening roadworks. After that I had a look in to Starnafin Visitor Centre. Nothing of great interest, and a group of school children were busy with hammer and nails making bird boxes. Two more surprises to record: a Chiffchaff suddenly appeared right in front of me at the Battery Park in Peterhead where I was sea watching. It just appeared on the fence then was gone. Actually, it could have been of the abietinus race - very grey. Then down at the Ythan, I picked up a winter plumaged Slavonian (Horned) Grebe, between Inches Point and The Quay. Not a bad day. :t:

After a lot of dithering, I finally managed to get up to Strathbeg to have a look for the Glossy Ibis. Found it OK alongside the St. Combs road near the turn off to Coralhill. It was conveniently standing in a very soggy grass field right next to a set of temporary traffic lights for some non-happening roadworks. After that I had a look in to Starnafin Visitor Centre. Nothing of great interest, and a group of school children were busy with hammer and nails making bird boxes. Two more surprises to record: a Chiffchaff suddenly appeared right in front of me at the Battery Park in Peterhead where I was sea watching. It just appeared on the fence then was gone. Actually, it could have been of the abietinus race - very grey. Then down at the Ythan, I picked up a winter plumaged Slavonian (Horned) Grebe, between Inches Point and The Quay. Not a bad day. :t:

Glad you found the Glossy Ibis Ken. I'd be tempted to go myself but got a lot on at the moment. I wouldn't mind having a group of school children to make some nest boxes for me. They couldn't do a worse job than I do myself :-O.

I'm mostly jealous of your Chiffchaff. I still haven't seen one here.

TS

'After a lot of dithering, I finally managed to get up to Strathbeg to have a look for the Glossy Ibis. Found it OK alongside the St. Combs road near the turn off to Coralhill. It was conveniently standing in a very soggy grass field right next to a set of temporary traffic lights for some non-happening roadworks. After that I had a look in to Starnafin Visitor Centre. Nothing of great interest, and a group of school children were busy with hammer and nails making bird boxes. Two more surprises to record: a Chiffchaff suddenly appeared right in front of me at the Battery Park in Peterhead where I was sea watching. It just appeared on the fence then was gone. Actually, it could have been of the abietinus race - very grey. Then down at the Ythan, I picked up a winter plumaged Slavonian (Horned) Grebe, between Inches Point and The Quay. Not a bad day. :t:'

Well done on both Slav Grebe and the Glossy Ibis Ken. A nice welcome back to Aberdeenshire birding. :t: The Glossy Ibis is a lovely bird, and is very obliging. I presume most birders in Aberdeenshire have seen it by now.

I am using Wi-fi (Wireless Fidelty) in Marseille Airport right now; I am waiting for a flight to Corsica, where I will be spending the next week or so in. As I was walking to the terminal, I saw a Yellow-legged Gull, which is common, but at least its something slightly different from what you get in Britain! Last week I was in Northern Suffolk visiting a grandparent, and on one of those days my Dad and I went out. We had a great day! However, until I return to Aberdeen, I am going to hide the birds I saw on that day from you. ;) Plus, when I return I can also give you an update of what I see im Corsica!

Happy birding,

Joseph

Yellow Browed Warbler

This morning I went out to Strathbeg Reserve to look for the Richards Pipit that was reported yesterday. There was no sign of the pipit around the footbridge so I carried on to the plantation to look for the reported Yellow Browed Warbler. I was only in the plantation a few minutes when I heard an unusual call among the Goldcrest calls, and I quickly located the Yellow-Browed feeding low down in the branches right in front of me. I took a few pics then headed back towards St Combs. While walking along the beach a flock of small birds came up from behind and flew right over my head and landed about fifty yards in front of me, I had o look through the Bins and saw that they were Snow Buntings. I only managed a few very distant shots before they took off again. It was a fair old hike out to the plantation but well worth the effort.

Attachments

• Y.B.Warbler..jpg
    Y.B.Warbler..jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 83
  • Snow Bunting.jpg
    Snow Bunting.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 82
Sorry for the lack of posts over the last week. My PC died and has had to be replaced, which took a bit of time and some help from a friend. Just wanted to report that I had 2 Tree Sparrows in the garden last Sunday, absolutely stunning birds in immaculate plumage. Shame I don't have anywhere suitable for nest boxes.

Sorry for the lack of posts over the last week. My PC died and has had to be replaced, which took a bit of time and some help from a friend. Just wanted to report that I had 2 Tree Sparrows in the garden last Sunday, absolutely stunning birds in immaculate plumage. Shame I don't have anywhere suitable for nest boxes.

Great about the Tree Sparrows Ken. Hopefully they might nest nearby next year and keep visiting on a regular basis even without nest boxes in your garden.

TS

Users who are viewing this thread

Back