• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Seawatching 2010 (1 Viewer)

I'm curious to know what the highest day count of Balearics is in Britain, and Ireland, having enjoyed the good numbers from the cove at PG on Fri. I guess Portland could get high counts?
TIA.

Not sure what the highest count for Ireland is. 48 on Sunday must be in with a shot. My highest count was 26-30 off Brandon pt. Kerry, 25/08/2005.

I doubt it has ever reached triple figures in an Irish context.

Owen

A pelagic out of Dingle Yesterday produced

2 Wilson's Petrels
12 Great Shearwaters
20 Sooty Shearwaters
1 Sabine's Gull
7 Bonxie
and 3 Long Tailed Skua.

Oh to not be stuck in work.

Owen

Thanx for the info on Balearics, i must admit if i'd had to guess i would have said we'd seen more than that on some days at the Bridges but i am almost certainly wrong! Looking forward to our annual pilgrimage, going to Annagh Head this year - thanks for the gen you posted. I've got really high hopes which is probably fatal!

For those in the east Sheringham looks good for Monday.
Hope to be at Bridges 3rd & 4th of next month, winds permitting. B :)

A single Balearic Shearwater off Ballycotton was the first seabird I saw Saturday morning.
Otherwise another poor weekend for Seawatching.

regards

Owen

This morning from Galley Head

1 Wilsons petrel
3 Great Shearwaters
13 Sooty Shearwaters
9 Bonxies
1 Arctic Skua
1 Balearic Shearwater
200+ Storm petrels.

Owen

Looks to be picking up for the SW UK for Thursday and Friday, with a pretty large low pressure sweeping up from the mid Atlantic and hitting overnight Weds giving S/SW turning NW for Friday. See Magicseaweed for full chart.

Looks to be picking up for the SW UK for Thursday and Friday, with a pretty large low pressure sweeping up from the mid Atlantic and hitting overnight Weds giving S/SW turning NW for Friday. See Magicseaweed for full chart.
Dan. For once i am in full agreement! Lets hope the forcast is right and the birds know it is going to be good! Could be the better option rather than bridges - we will see!

Let's hope the low keeps on a southerly track and doesn't swing to the north of UK, could be some Greats/Sabs etc passing.....

Galley on Saturday (sadly I was not present) produced

10 Sooty Shearwater
3 Great Shearwater
1 Cory's Shearwater
5 Balearic Shearwater
2 Wilson's petrels
and 52 Storm petrels

Apparently one of the Wilsons stayed feeding in front of observers for over 10 minutes.
A damn good haul for a very sunny day!

On sunday I had 4 Balearics, 4 bonxie and 1 sooty here. Poor by comparison.
4 Balearics were also off power head on Saturday evening.

http://www.landsendweather.info/

http://www.landsendweather.info/met/mainframe.htm

This is a really good site with weather from the guy who owns the Porthgwarra cafe and has his own home weather station. Webcam shows it as being quite nice there today, almost balmy - I can feel the ice cream dribbling into my cuffs as I look at it. Forecast looks to be pretty nasty tomorrow morning at first light, but then clearing into just drizzle by mid morning. Pressure charts show the filth hitting the SW tomorrow, and southerlies are forecast. Forecast then shows wind swinging north on Thurs & Fri.

Forcast for cornwall

Seaweed shows slight change with the fronts moving slightly fasters than anticipated!

There looks like Stong North westerlies in the first part of Thursday. The South west hits earlier late on Wenesday. Peendeen does look goog on the earlier part of thursday though!!:cat::cat:

Biscay is finally picking up with the 20 - 23 August trip producing 1 Macronesian (Little), 49 Cory's, 14 Great, 3 Sooty, 9 Manx and 1 Balearic Shearwater, 6 Great, 3 Arctic and 1 Long-tailed Skua, 18 Storm Petrels and 7 Black Terns.

Also an incredible single pod of 15+ Cuvier's beaked Whale, 20 Sperm Whales and plenty of other cetaceans - full details and cetacean distribution map at

http://www.companyofwhales.co.uk/html/news/news_fr.htm

Cheers

Hugh

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back