• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tice's Meadow and Tongham GP, Surrey (1 Viewer)

Dear all lots going on plant area being removed so as to open whole site up, have set dates for volunteer projects at Tices at long last. The plan is asfollows.9 30 / 10 am start with the tea wagon.
Sunday 1 Dec removal of willow wheatear field.
Friday 13 Dec removal of willow wheatear feild.
Sunday 5 Jan tree removal silt beds.
Friday 17 Jan installation disabled gate.
Sunday 2 Feb tree removal silt beds.
Friday 14 Feb placement of dead wood and planting in new river channel.
Sunday 2 March tree removal .
Friday 14 March reserved.
Put it in your diary.
If you love this new wet lands please get involed if only of an hour.
On Friday 8 30 am BBC Surrey want to do programe about Tices and the reline of Blackwater with Hansons who have asked if any birders could be there on the mound.
Also 10 am same day a walk with counsellors showing them around for an hour. I would be grateful for any help as i think it could be imprortant for Tices in the long run and put us well on thier map to.Rich H.

Planning permission for a Hide? FFS. Would suggest any screens erected will quickly be set on fire. Guess we'll have to continue to watch from the mound. Tice's is not conducive to photography anyway so would suggest we don't put anything up to avoid vandalism and continue to use our panoramic viewpoint.

Rich think your right vandalism.

It's been quiet on here of late. Visit yesterday after 3 weekends away. Not much to report bar good Gull numbers and at least 3 Chiffchaff in the reed bed. 20 Cormorants were an unusual site on the islands and Canada Geese numbers appear to be building up on the meadow.

Wigeon numbers building with 28 today, Green Sandpiper, 48 Lapwing, 15 Shovler, 18 Tea,l 36 Tufted, 28 Cormorant, 1 L Egret, 6 Redwing, 3 Fieldfare, Grey Wag, Water Rail and plenty of Snipe, Reed Bunting, Chiff Chaff to .Yellow Leg Gull, 200 +BHGulls, 38 LBBGulls, Kestrel, Sparrowhawk and of coarse Peregrine.
For those that dont know we start regular Tices Meadow Farnham quarry volunteer projects from Sunday 1st December pulling up self seeded willow from wheatear field . Meet on the mound 10 am . Tea wagon we hope will be there to. Get involved its the start of making it a trully wonderfull nature reserve for all.

Having not had the chance to get down for a fair few weeks due to family and work, just wondering how the work is going on there. As reports seem to have slowed is is access problem or it a case that the regulars aren't visiting at the moment or is it just quiet with nothing to report ? Hope not the latter !
Jon

Having not had the chance to get down for a fair few weeks due to family and work, just wondering how the work is going on there. As reports seem to have slowed is is access problem or it a case that the regulars aren't visiting at the moment or is it just quiet with nothing to report ? Hope not the latter !
Jon

Jon, It been very quite. all though Snow Bunting am showed today, Tices first.For the start of work partys. Rich.

Just want to saya BIG BIG thank you to all those that turned up for the Tices Farnham Quarry work party today . Such a good effort. The size of a football pitch cleared of willow in Wheatear Field. To top it off Snow Bunting seen by most. Jack Snipe and up to 35 snipe.Rich H

Just want to saya BIG BIG thank you to all those that turned up for the Tices Farnham Quarry work party today . Such a good effort. The size of a football pitch cleared of willow in Wheatear Field. To top it off Snow Bunting seen by most. Jack Snipe and up to 35 snipe.Rich H

Rich,

thanks for organising the work party and glad we managed to clear so much; one more and we should have cleared the lot when is the willow going up in smoke to avoid it sprouting again? A red letter day; Snow Bunting, who would have thought it? Well done to Kev for initially finding it and sorry that others (Bob B et al) dipped.

Rich

Last edited:
Rich,

thanks for organising the work party and glad we managed to clear so much; one more and we should have cleared the lot when is the willow going up in smoke to avoid it sprouting again? A red letter day; Snow Bunting, who would have thought it? Well done to Kev for initially finding it and sorry that others (Bob B et al) dipped.

Rich
Rich think Jim has bit between the teeth already. Thanks for your support as with every one else . You cant do these things on your own . Great to see Badshot Lee involved to thanks to Cliff. Good start .

After a quick visit today I returned to the car via Pea Bridge. Just before the bridge I flushed a Little Egret feeding in the River Blackwater. It didn't go far and perched on the Hawthorns only 10m away. I then noticed it was colour ringed. Both rings above the knee. On its left leg RED ring with code B and on its right leg YELLOW ring with code K Hope to have the ringing details in the next few days.

Kevin

EA have now started back on site they hope to open new river channel on this Friday to coincide with the Tices work party at 10 am on the mound.
On a birding note .50 plus Fieldfare roosting in Simon s reeds 36 Magpie roosting in jub wood.pm.

Thanks to Dave B 2 Golden Plover in the workings this evening with Lapwing 35 Greylag over, Water Rail s calling in Simon s reeds.
EA may well open new stream tomorrow , have ask them to wait till Friday while work party on site.

4 Jack Snipe in meadow as the work party started with 40 + Snipe 1 Peregrine Kestral and Buzzard 80 + lapwing and of note 750 + Wood Pigeon over. A good turn out for the work party .Thanks to all for the effort and support . Stream diversion now running it will take time to settle but looks good so far.

Tice's Meadow 18th Dec

A first-winter Peregrine perched on one of the islands was the highlight - it looked big so I assume a female.

A good selection of common waterfowl including: Coot 160 (my highest count here), Shoveler 8, Teal 25, Pochard 22, Tufted 44, Wigeon 9, Cormorant 13, Lapwing 120 etc. About 350 BHGs, 26 LBBGs, 17 H Gulls and 5 Common Gulls.

Earlier first-winter male Scaup still at Camp Farm GP.

John

May i wish one and all a Very Happy Christmas and New Year .Big thanks to all the volunteer work partys.Next one 5th Jan 14. Thanks also to all the birders for making Tices Meadow Farnham Quarry such an important birding spot. Water level up by almost a 1 mt over night, islands as we saw them in spring. What will turn up next. Rich.

Hi,
For the benefit of a confused newcomer, could somebody please give a quick overview of the main features of the area, now that the recent work has been finished? I've tried following the description given on another page of this site, but I end up wandering along muddy paths under trees, with hardly a bird to be seen. Where is the best place to start from - is it still the Badshot Lea road? And what is the best route to take to find the observation mound that keeps being referred to - I haven't managed to find anything that could possibly accommodate a tea wagon! I think I must be getting stupid in my old age - I'm certainly missing something, so any helpful suggestions will be most gratefully received!

Hi,
For the benefit of a confused newcomer, could somebody please give a quick overview of the main features of the area, now that the recent work has been finished? I've tried following the description given on another page of this site, but I end up wandering along muddy paths under trees, with hardly a bird to be seen. Where is the best place to start from - is it still the Badshot Lea road? And what is the best route to take to find the observation mound that keeps being referred to - I haven't managed to find anything that could possibly accommodate a tea wagon! I think I must be getting stupid in my old age - I'm certainly missing something, so any helpful suggestions will be most gratefully received!
Park Lowerfarnham Road by Pea Bridge . Enter by large metal gate oppsite car sales.Keep right untill you see open grass land . Take path left follow hedge row keeping grass land to your right. Good veiws are found of meadow half way down this path as you will see. Follow path down untill new river diversion . Look to your right you will see Viewing Mound ,stand up there and enjoy.

Tices Birders have put pink tape on trees to gide you down to The Mound from metal gate Lowerfarnham Road . Boots are needed .
Good that others have Black Necked Greab on there year list showing well for some this morning, 3 Chiff Chaff along reed bed, 2 Stonechat still about below Mound. Duck numbers increase. Not so many Lapwing as islands reduce through rise in water levels 69.50 ASL. Going to ask Hansons about Tern rafts.
We have the next work party on the 17th Jan all welcome if you can. Hope to pile willow already pulled and burn from wheatear field and cut some more.Again boot needed Rich H.

Thanks very much for the explanation (and the pink tape). Took advantage of the fine weather yesterday afternoon - it's easy once you know! Shame about the mud, but it'll dry out one of these days . . .

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back