• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

How big is your GARDEN/YARD LIST? (2 Viewers)

Katy Penland said:
Hi, Dally! I see this is your first post, so a warm welcome to you from all of us on staff here at BirdForum!

Just logged species #114 for the yard: Acorn Woodpecker (Melanerpes formicivorus). I always get them on various counts but have never had one in the yard in the 4 1/2 years I've lived here. They're sure great clown faces with their white eyes and red, yellow, black and white patterned head.

Thanks Katy!

#115 for the yard on April 23: Hermit Thrush (Catharus guttatus). Until I entered it into the log, didn't realize it was new to the yard as they're very common and I've seen them often.

My garden list is an impressive 5!

Starling
Blackbird
Dunnock
House Sparrow
Feral Pigeon

not bad for a 5x10m concrete block with 20ft walls on 3 sides and with an old fridge, a broken gas fire, a wheelie bin and a few broken bricks...

OMG i've just had a new bird in my garden!!!!!

carrion crow

its now 6 (not including flyovers...)

Starling
Blackbird
Dunnock
House Sparrow
Feral Pigeon
Carrion crow

coincidentally this is also my "birds i've seen while on birdforum" list
and my "birds seen while writing this essay" list

my "birds seen while on the toilet" list however is a little shorter but quite short compared to my "birds seen while drinking homemade butternut squash, carrot, red onion and sweetcorn soup from a gelert flask" list................

birds seen while writing this post list
Blackbird x2 (1 male 1 female)

116. Indigo Bunting. A bright but still splotchy male. Wow, what a color! Been a long time since I saw one of these guys and this is a yard first. Woo-hoo! If he comes back tomorrow (when I have film), I'll try to get a shot.

Gardens are pretty rare in Taiwan.Most houses go straight up with no garden at all.As the majority of Taiwanese people are Taoist, most houses have an ancestral shrine area on the top floor.As I'm not Taoist,I have made the ancestral shrine area into a roof garden.My house is at the edge of a small village and overlooks a small rice paddy lined with betel-nut trees.As I can look directly down onto the rice paddy from my roof garden, I include the rice paddy as my garden area too.

I have been in the house since the beginning of the year and to date have a list of 28.

1.Spotted Dove
2.Red Collared Dove
3.Feral Pigeon
4.Long-tailed Shrike
5.Brown Shrike
6.Cattle Egret
7.Little Egret
8.Common Kestrel
9.White-breasted Water Hen
10.Ruddy-breasted Crake
11.Black-browed Barbet
12.House Swift
13.Barn Swallow
14.Pacific Swallow
15.Striated Swallow
16.Plain Martin
17.White Wagtail
18.Yellow wagtail
19.Light-vented Bulbul
20.Daurian Redstart
21.Blue Rock Thrush
22.Zitting Cisticola
23.Plain Prinia
24.Japanese White-eye
25.Scaly Munia
26.White-vented Myna
27.Grey Treepie
28.Black Drongo

Only 27 seen within the garden, 40 feet by 70 feet, adjoining playing fields and woods.

Sparrowhawk
Blackheaded gull
Woodpigeon
Collared dove
Green woodpecker
Great spotted woodpecker
Pied wagtail
Starling
Dunnock
Wren
Robin
Song thrush
Mistle thrush
Blackbird
Coal tit
Great tit
Blue tit
Long tailed tit
Treecreeper
Chaffinch
Goldfinch
Greenfinch
House sperrow
Jay
Magpie
Jackdaws (lots)
Crow

Successful breeding in garden so far in 19 years:
Blue tits
Wood pigeons
Robins
Blackbirds

Last edited:
117. Painted Bunting (female; and way beyond their normal westerly and northerly range). Oh, and a lifer for me as well.
118. Gray Flycatcher
119. Dusky Flycatcher (also a lifer)

A very busy migration season this year, with 61 species in the yard this May, the birdiest month since I've lived here. Things have slowed down now, though, and those that breed here are busy carrying nesting material and singing their little beaks off. ;)

Yes, I would like to add 9 more to my meager list:
32. House Sparrow
33. Hairy Woodpecker
34. Great Blue Heron (in air)
35. Ruby-crowned Kinglet
36. Purple Martin
37. Pine Warbler
38. White-throated Sparrow
39. Rose-breasted Grosbeak
40. Ruby-throated Hummingbird

Glad I added the hummingbird feeder last weekend! Happy birding! :flyaway:

Hey, Tim, no list is meager! They're just in various stages of growth! :t:

If you get any orioles where you are, they may come to the hummer feeder, too. I've had woodpeckers, house finches and orioles give the poor hummers some hefty competition for a perch and slurp. ;)

Including flyovers, and in no specific order, other than the order I thought of them

1) Northern Oriole
2) Black-throated Green Warbler
3) Chipping Sparrow
4) Common Nighthawk
5) Mallard
6) Canada Goose
7) House Sparrow
8) House Finch
9) Carolina Chickadee
10) Carolina Wren
11) Red-tailed Hawk
12) Cooper's Hawk
13) American Goldfinch
14) American Robin
15) Blue Jay
16) Common Grackle
17) European Starling
18) Chimney Swift
19) Mourning Dove
20) Northern Cardinal
21) Northern Mockingbird
22) Downy Woodpecker
23) Belted Kingfisher
24) Ruby-throated Hummingbird

Yeah, I live right in the middle of suburbia.

30. Lots of water around after Tuesday's typhoon. A pair of Painted snipe this morning.

Attachments

• Painted Snipe 1.JPG
    Painted Snipe 1.JPG
    120.8 KB · Views: 104
Lots of water around so hopefully we'll get some more strange visitors. The Cattle Egrets are around in fair numbers with the odd Little Egret. I've attached two shots of our friendly Cattle Egrets which have camped outside for the last few days. They arrived during Tuesday's typhoon and haven't left. The second shot was taken during the typhoon and the first shot, yesterday.

Attachments

• Cattle egret 1.JPG
    Cattle egret 1.JPG
    92.5 KB · Views: 122
  • cattle egret 2.JPG
    cattle egret 2.JPG
    111.8 KB · Views: 88
First post - only just spotted this thread !

I have a life and 2006 list gouing, but have only just spotted this thread today, hence the late arrival. Relatively short list as I'm a bit restricted in my movement due to the wheelchair, but I do me best ;)

My Garden only list (lifetime)

1. Blue Tit
2. Great Tit
3. Tree Sparrow
4. House Sparrow
5. Dunnock
6. Blackbird
7. Song Thrush
8. Chaffinch
9. Nuthatch
10. Robin
11. Coal Tit
12. Long Tailed Tit
13. Crow
14. Jay
15. Pheasant
16. Collared Dove
17. Wood Pigeon
18. Wren
19. Green Woodpecker
20. Gt Spotted Woodpecker
21. Black Cap
22. Magpie
23. Starling
24. Chiffchaff
25. Swift
26. Bullfinch
27. Goldfinch
28. Siskin
29. Goldcrest
30. Feral Pigeon
31. Jackdaw
32. Barn Owl
33. Treecreeper
34. Willow Warbler
35. Greenfinch

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back