• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Greater striped swallows (1 Viewer)

Hi there. Can anyone tell me if a greater striped swallows nest breaks and falls down will they re-build the nest. In addition is there any way to stop mocking chatso from taking over the swallows nest. Thanks

Hi there Linda and a warm welcome to you from the entire staff here at BirdForum :t:

I'm going to move your thread to the South Africa section where you might get some feed back on your question.

I've subscribed you to this thread so that you will get notifications when someone posts in it. ;)

Hi Linda and a warm welcome to BirdForum.I can't answer your question exactly. I know that they like to come back to the same nesting site if it proves to be a good one, so that you can get them coming back year after year; I also know that they will rebuild parts or even the whole nest when they return, if it has been damaged or knocked down. However whether they will do this whilst the nest is in use - I don't think so, it would take too long. If it is knocked down whilst in use you may have to rescue the swallow babies and put them is some kind of secure container up high off the floor as near the old nest as possible so that the parents can feed them. As for the Mocking Chats - are they taking over the nest whilst the Swallows are still in it? The nests normally have a tunnel leading to them, can the Chats get down this tunnel? Or do they break it away?

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back