• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Johannesburg Accommodation and birding (1 Viewer)

Egret

Hi
We will be in Johannesburg for 2 days in October before heading for the Kruger. I wondered if anyone can suggest a hotel or guest house near the airport that would make a good base? My guide book has nothing except the existence of the airport. Does that mean its not a a good choice of location?
Once we get organised we can then think about some birdwatching and sightseeing.

Thanks

Hi Egret, I can recommend the Outlook Lodge - www.outlook-lodge.com
It is a short 10min drive from the airport and airport transfers can also be arranged. There is a nice bird sanctuary situated close to the lodge which often has an abundance of birdlife. It is a close 5min walk from the lodge.
Regards

Is there any particular reason you want to stay in Jo'burg for two days before heading to Kruger? There are a lot of localities closer to Kruger that would be far better to stop for a day or two.

Is there any particular reason you want to stay in Jo'burg for two days before heading to Kruger? There are a lot of localities closer to Kruger that would be far better to stop for a day or two.

Hi Jos

We are actually arriving two days ahead of other members of our party. The poor souls still have jobs! So, us retired folks decided to sneak in a couple of extra days. Need to be local to pick up our vehicles. Then we are off on our first ever, self-drive, camping safari. Should be interesting.
At the moment we are debating between birdwatching and visiting the Apartheid Museum. Birdwatching is always so much more cheerful!

Hi Jos

We are actually arriving two days ahead of other members of our party. The poor souls still have jobs! So, us retired folks decided to sneak in a couple of extra days. Need to be local to pick up our vehicles. Then we are off on our first ever, self-drive, camping safari. Should be interesting.
At the moment we are debating between birdwatching and visiting the Apartheid Museum. Birdwatching is always so much more cheerful!

That's fair enough - the other option (if you are not opposed to guided trips) could be to use one day for a guided day out to nearby hotspots. A couple of good guides (not that I have ever used them) do special days out from jo-burg and would pick up and return to whatever hotel you are staying. Possibly a good way to see the best near Jo'burg.

As for self-drive, camping ...superb, South Africa is ace for this. You will be blown away, I forecast :)

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back