• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

8 x 42 or 10 x 42? Help! (1 Viewer)

Bushcrafter

Hi its time for a new pair of bino's im looking at the Leica BN 8 or 10 x 42.. in your opinion what is the better magnification :h?: ? im going to be using them for Birding and nature watching/tracking (ps im a Libra star sign and can never make up my mind ;) )
edit, sorry just seen the bino forum feel free to move this ;)

Last edited:
I'm sure you'll get arguments for both mags being the best choice - personally I have always used 8x bins and would not change to 10x. 8x are generally a little bit easier to hold steady (esp in windy weather) and I find them more comfortable for prolonged viewing. That said the 10x will give you a bit more magnification wich could be useful if you don't have a scope. Best advice is to go and try both side by side and see how they feel to you. If you're still unsure which mag suits you best have a look at the Leica Duovids 8+12x42, they are switchable, dual mag bins. I've been using them for a couple of years and love them, they're just as bright/sharp as the standard 8x Leicas but you have the extra mag when you need it.
If you go for either the 8x or 10x BNs you won't be disapointed they're both great bins.

Bushcrafter said:
Thanks postcard, how does the mag switch operation work, im always weary about gadgets added to solid construction ..

There is a section just below the eyecups (one on each side) you rotate these to switch from 8x to 12x. It's very simple to switch over (only takes a couple of seconds), I've never had a problem switching. They are good solid bins - as you'd espect from Leica. The main complaint people have about them is the weight - personally I don't mind this and the bins feel very well balanced when using them.

for general nature and tracking/hunting a lower mag is generally favoured

enables observation to occur later into the evening (more light gets into lower mag bins) and allows for easier following of the object (wider field of view and depth of field).

many trackers/hunters use 7x - better light gathering, very wide field and excellent depth of field.

some birders use 7x, most go for 8x. I haven't used duovids but if you don't mind the weight i expect they're quite useful.

Tim

Tim

Bushcrafter said:
Orsett Fens in Thurrock near the Dartford Tunnel..

Don't know anywhere right by you - but there is a place in Southend called binoculars online but would be worth a look. Also there is a branch of London Camera Exchange in Colchester which may be worth trying.

Thanks Guys i recon for what my needs are the 8x42 BN's are the way to go, err what do you think lol ;) seems like the safest bet though....

While you're looking at the Leica's, don't forget the 8x32 BN. Great bins, compact size, very popular. Certainly worth a look - I can't stand heavy bins after a couple of hours in the field, but maybe I'm soft.

hornet said:
While you're looking at the Leica's, don't forget the 8x32 BN. Great bins, compact size, very popular. Certainly worth a look - I can't stand heavy bins after a couple of hours in the field, but maybe I'm soft.

Is there a lot in the weight/size? im in dark woodlands and do a lot of dawn and dusk work and would like the extra light availability, i suppose its horses for courses isnt it..

Hi Bushcrafter,

You really do need to try these things out for yourself. It's surprising how different they can feel once you start using them. So you really should visit a proper shop. How's about having a trip into London to visit the London Wetland Centre (tube to Hammersmith, 283 bus straight there). There's an In-Focus shop there, where you'll be able to try out various bins and see which ones you like.

But do some online research first - and decide your price limit beforehand.

hollis_f said:
Hi Bushcrafter,

You really do need to try these things out for yourself. It's surprising how different they can feel once you start using them. So you really should visit a proper shop. How's about having a trip into London to visit the London Wetland Centre (tube to Hammersmith, 283 bus straight there). There's an In-Focus shop there, where you'll be able to try out various bins and see which ones you like.

But do some online research first - and decide your price limit beforehand.

This probably wouldn't be the best place to go as In Focus do not stock Leica bins. But I totally agree with the fact that you should try before you buy.

postcardcv said:
This probably wouldn't be the best place to go as In Focus do not stock Leica bins. But I totally agree with the fact that you should try before you buy.

AFAICT In Focus seem to favour Opticron, Nikon and their own Delta brand. At least this is the case in their Slimbridge shop.

trealawboy said:
AFAICT In Focus seem to favour Opticron, Nikon and their own Delta brand. At least this is the case in their Slimbridge shop.

Indeed they do - I know they stopped selling Leica sometime ago, and rumours where that they were going to stop stocking swaro too - though I'm not sure if this happened as I've not been in one of there shops for ages. I think that the Delta brand is made by Opticron, though I can't be sure.

postcardcv said:
Indeed they do - I know they stopped selling Leica sometime ago, and rumours where that they were going to stop stocking swaro too - though I'm not sure if this happened as I've not been in one of there shops for ages. I think that the Delta brand is made by Opticron, though I can't be sure.

They still have Swarovski and Zeiss on their website, but the other brands dominate their cabinets in Slimbridge. Not that there's anything wrong with these brands by the way.

My hunch is that the Delta brand is made by one of those large Japanese optics factories that produce bins for many of the other brands we are familiar with.

Going back to the original post. I used 10x40s for 18 years, but switched to 8x32s recently. I find the smaller magnification much easier on the eye for prolonged sessions in the field, and I don't miss the added magnification of the 10x at all.

I am however comtemplating a 10x50 for dusk, especially as were in Nightjar season.

Do try for yourself though.

Thanks Guys i apreciate all your help, im going to get the 8x42BN's now they seem to be the middle of the road and multi perpous..thanks again JP ;)

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back