• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Kowa BDII-XD - september 2019 (1 Viewer)

Boris Flaccus

FYI, from Kowa Optics on twitter:

"The new #wideangle #Kowa BDII-XD #binoculars arrive September 2019 - a new binocular for all, affordable without compromise - designed with optical features normally associated with far greater price tags including enviable wide angle performance. Try them @TheBirdfair #birdfair"

Last edited:
FYI, from Kowa Optics on twitter:

"The new #wideangle #Kowa BDII-XD #binoculars arrive September 2019 - a new binocular for all, affordable without compromise - designed with optical features normally associated with far greater price tags including enviable wide angle performance. Try them @TheBirdfair #birdfair"

Thanks for the heads up. :t:

Hope they do a better job this time. For the original BD XD launch, a cardboard box arrived at the show with a couple of binoculars and no supporting literature. After scratching their heads for a while, the team passed them to interested punters. I can only assume were incomplete display only items. They had some of the worst CA I've ever seen. Another year, four besuited Japanese gentlemen spent a whole day guarding blue and gold anodised knobbly pieces of engineered alloy and glass in a display cabinet. None of the English speaking team had a clue what they were. Found out later they were micro 4/3 camera lenses.

David

Kowa is not releasing any more details yet but will be publishing more on social media step by step over the coming weeks.

Lee

Kowa Facebook page shows 3 video clips the 8x42 is 8.2 degrees did not see fov of the 6.5.

Close focus is 1.3m for the 32mm models and 1.8m for the 42 s.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2019-07-18-16-02-36-1.jpg
    Screenshot_2019-07-18-16-02-36-1.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 347
Last edited:
Kowa Facebook page shows 3 video clips the 8x42 is 8.2

Hi,

8.2 deg is not quite in Zeiss SF territory but certainly not too shabby for an 8x42. The little 6.5x will be interesting... I am still searching for a modern light and wide angle 7x... since Leica seems to have nixed the Trini 6x35 reissue, maybe this one might be it...

Joachim

I checked this morning, and although I couldn't find any new data I was able to download a clear additional image . . .

John

Attachments

• BD II XD.jpg
    BD II XD.jpg
    121.3 KB · Views: 311
I'll be quite curious to see specs on the 6.5x32. I continue to think about buying a 6x or 6.5x but haven't pulled the trigger yet. The most tempting, currently, is the Maven B3 6x30. I am very curious to see how these stack up!

The close focus quoted in the brochure is extremely impressive: 13mm for the 32s and 18mm for the 42s.
Hmmmm.
Lee

Hats off to Kowa for offering something different in the 6.5 x 32 model. Good luck to them for being brave in a market which has declined in available range paricularly by the Alpha brands with the higher spec ranges, eg....7 x 35, 7 x 42.

Hats off to Kowa for offering something different in the 6.5 x 32 model. Good luck to them for being brave in a market which has declined in available range paricularly by the Alpha brands with the higher spec ranges, eg....7 x 35, 7 x 42.

Agree entirely, but do wonder who does their proof reading.
The near focus error is easily obvious to a birder. Why did it not get caught?
Seems like a focus on process, rather than on results. Not confidence inspiring.

Agree entirely, but do wonder who does their proof reading.
The near focus error is easily obvious to a birder. Why did it not get caught?
Seems like a focus on process, rather than on results. Not confidence inspiring.

Luckily, the marketing team has nothing to do with product development. These types of errors in marketing materials--especially at initial product release--are common in most industries.

Monster FOV on some of these if the numbers are correct. I'm anxiously awaiting the IPD specs and pricing.

For those interested in comparing and contrasting, a copy of the original BD XD spec's . . .

John

Attachments

• BD XD spec's.jpg
    BD XD spec's.jpg
    202.6 KB · Views: 396
  • BD XD.jpg
    BD XD.jpg
    242.5 KB · Views: 207
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back