• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

daft question? (1 Viewer)

markEll

i suppose this is a question many times asked here, and one that may be hard to answer, but im going to ask anyway ...

In your opinion, what are the best value for money birding binoculars on the market?

I think, as a rule of thumb, go for the best you can afford. Is paying USD 1,000.00 for a pair of bins good value? I think so. You will enjoy superb viewing for years, making the per annum expense not all that a big deal.

markEll said:
i suppose this is a question many times asked here, and one that may be hard to answer, but im going to ask anyway ...

In your opinion, what are the best value for money birding binoculars on the market?

On the market at the moment it must be the Nikon HG 10x32 that warehouse express have on sale, once they have sold their stock it would be a different ball game.

Your name suggests my answer, the Nikon 8x30 EII. If you want a wide, sharp view, this binocular offers more than some glasses costing much more. However, it is not waterproof and dustproof. At £279, they are worth consideration.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur Pinewood

It is true that the more you are prepared to pay the better the binoculars are going to be.

But, if you are working on a budget then you can't go wrong with 8 times 42 Viking Navigators with 5 year warranty for just 99.95 (check out the optics section of the RSPB website). They are certainly not cheap and rubbish and I am very pleased with them. Remember though that this is just my opinion, and you should get bins that are right for you.

Sean F

bill lord said:
On the market at the moment it must be the Nikon HG 10x32 that warehouse express have on sale, once they have sold their stock it would be a different ball game.

Totally agree - the 10x32 HG's at £339 have to be the best value for money buy available - top end optics with a mid-range price tag.

Bargains?

How about http://www.7dayshop.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=777_8&products_id=90463

and

http://www.7dayshop.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=777_8&products_id=90464

Before you dismiss 'em out of hand, look at the reviews here: http://www.7dayshop.com/catalog/product_reviews.php?cPath=777_8&products_id=90464

These are apparently Helios bins (Japanese, it turns out - Helios Rapides, possibly?): even at their original price, Helios bins got some excellent reviews. For this price, they're (as they say "over there") a no-brainer, I reckon, even just as a back up for your good bins or a pair to keep in the glove compartment.

I've just ordered some..!

Last edited:
If you're looking for bargain binoculars, it's worth considering the Swift Audubons. I got mine for about US $260 a few years ago and have been very satisfied with them since then. The image is clear and it gives a nice, easy view with a wide angle.

You have not asked a daft question, but it certainly will draw many different responses based on past experience and preferences.

But please try before you buy, I know its difficult to find some of these brands in local shops, so why not see if there is a field day near you. In-focus hold field days round the whole country where you can go along and try Binoculars out in the field. Find them at www.at-infocus.co.uk, No guarantee that they will have what you are looking for though. The larger RSPB reserves usually have a shop on sight too, check out their reserve web sight for your nearest shop.
Jackie

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back