• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

new here - protecting nest from chipmunks (1 Viewer)

4meezers

I am new to this forum. I have been so excited to have a mother Cardinal who has a nest in a bush outside my front window. Unfortunately this evening she lost one of her eggs to a chipmunk. I was wondering if anyone has any ideas how to protect her nest and remaining eggs from the chipmunks. Obviously I don't want to do anything to harm the chipmunks. If at all possible I would like to deter them from her nest. If there isn't anything I can do I will be disappointed but at least I'll know I tried. (Cardinals hold an extra special place in my heart because growing up my grandmother adored them and always talked about watching them in her yard.)

Any help would be appreciated.

Hi there and a warm welcome to you from those of us on staff here at BirdForum :t:

Tough one. It's a lot easier to protect them from the chipmunks and squirrels if they are in a nest box. There really isn't much you can do I'm afraid. I knew squirrels predated nests but didn't realize the chipmunks did as well. I wish I had some answers for you but perhaps others will have a few suggestions. Good luck and please keep us posted on their progress.

Not sure if this would work, but you might try keeping the chipmunks happy with an abundant supply of sunflowers or peanuts in another part of the yard until the birds have fledged.

Scott

p.s. Welcome to birdforum

Hi, 4Meezers! Another warm welcome to you from BirdForum!

Afraid I have no help for you, either, but Scott's solution might work. I've been able to lure ground squirrels and some of the larger birds away from the smaller birds' feeding area by putting their favorite food (whole roasted, unsalted peanuts) in another part of the yard. Sounds like your cardinal mom might be a first-year parent and just didn't know the best place in which to build her nest.

Keep us posted on how the cardinal family fares, will you? :t:

I'll give that a try

Thank you for the suggestion. I will give that a try. I was thinking that may be the only thing I could really do. I'll put a bunch of sunflower out and try to keep them interested in a different area of the yard.

I think mom is a first-year parent. Her nest is in a bush near a rock wall where the chipmunks all seem to live. She is a very dedicated mom though. We now have a Robin who laid and egg in a nest in the bush next to the Cardinal's bush. It's funny because my husband wanted to tear out the bushes this year. Guess it won't be happening this year:)

Dad Cardinal has been around a lot more since they lost the one egg. My husband says she must have yelled at him. The eggs should be hatching within a couple of days. I hope she has success with her remaining eggs. It truly is amazing to watch our cardinal family.

Katy Penland said:
Hi, 4Meezers! Another warm welcome to you from BirdForum!

Afraid I have no help for you, either, but Scott's solution might work. I've been able to lure ground squirrels and some of the larger birds away from the smaller birds' feeding area by putting their favorite food (whole roasted, unsalted peanuts) in another part of the yard. Sounds like your cardinal mom might be a first-year parent and just didn't know the best place in which to build her nest.

Keep us posted on how the cardinal family fares, will you? :t:

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back