• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Ace stay on case, any good? (1 Viewer)

ardnasx1

Sandra
Just wondering if anyone has tried Ace stay on cases? I'm planning to buy a stay on case for my ATS80 shortly. The LCE one doesn't seem to be available anymore and I don't want to pay for the Swarovski one. It looks like I'll end up buying the Skua case unless anyone can recommend the Ace one. They don't have a picture of it or any information about it on their site. Any help would be appreciated.

ardnasx1 said:
Just wondering if anyone has tried Ace stay on cases? I'm planning to buy a stay on case for my ATS80 shortly. The LCE one doesn't seem to be available anymore and I don't want to pay for the Swarovski one. It looks like I'll end up buying the Skua case unless anyone can recommend the Ace one. They don't have a picture of it or any information about it on their site. Any help would be appreciated.
I bought the Swaro case, and you're right, don't touch it with a barge-pole. It detracts from all the ergonomics of the swaro, and costs too much. I remember seeing photos on some thread a few months ago of the London Camera Exchange stay-on case. This was far cheaper and highly recommended, sorry to hear it's not available anymore. Best of Luck!

Last edited:
Ace stay-on case

Here's what I've found:
LCE won't ship their case to the U.S., and apparently some others have found they don't stock it any more anyway.
The case was made by CCS. See the thread "Swarovski LCE ATS HD 65 Stay on case quick review", where there are illlustrations.

I phoned CCS and they no longer make the case. However, Andrew Wood there told me that they had manufactured the same design for Ace Cameras (acecameras.co.uk), who now sell it under their own label for £80 (their code 8352bb or 8931bb; the specifications are confusing). I'm checking with Ace to see if they'll ship to the U.S., but apparently LCE = Ace and this seems to be the best-designed stay-on case for the Swarovski.

Steve Tabor

Thanks for the replies. That information was extremely helpful and exactly what I needed to know, great to know that that type of case is still available. I rang Ace and got them to descrbe it just to make sure and it did sound like the same case, so I've gone ahead and ordered one. While on the phone I asked if they ship to the US and he confirmed that they do, they will ship anywhere.

ardnasx1 said:
Thanks for the replies. That information was extremely helpful and exactly what I needed to know, great to know that that type of case is still available. I rang Ace and got them to descrbe it just to make sure and it did sound like the same case, so I've gone ahead and ordered one. While on the phone I asked if they ship to the US and he confirmed that they do, they will ship anywhere.
Thanks, let us know what you think when you get it, would you? I'd like to dump the Swaro case I got, or donate it to someone who wants a really crap case! ;)

Ideal Quality Scope Cover for the Swaro.

Sancho said:
Thanks, let us know what you think when you get it, would you? I'd like to dump the Swaro case I got, or donate it to someone who wants a really crap case! ;)

Sancho, I can highly recommend the scope cover marketed by Creedmoor Sports in the States for the Swaro ATS 80 I own. They post outside the States and I received my cover within a week of ordering. A great quality scope cover for a modest $35 plus postage. Go to www.creedmoorsports.com them to "scopes and stands" then look under "accessories". A bonus using this cover for me is that I can mount my Swaro DCB and camera without taking the cover off. A good quality piece of kit made of tough material and comes with good quality zips and padding. If you want to know more send me a mail. Thanks Dave

Sancho, I got the case on Monday and I'm pleased with it. Its a different shade of green but certainly does appear to be the same as the LCE case and access to the focus wheel isn't in any way restricted. I've attached a couple of photos. In the "Swarovski LCE ATS HD 65 Stay on case quick review" it was pointed out that the end caps can get caught in the wind as they aren't removable. I found that you can just attach them at the side, as in the second photo below, and that eliminates that problem. I'm sure you'll have no problem finding a new home for your Swaro case!

Das, that case sounds like fantastic value. I couldn't figure out looking at the image on the website how you access the focus wheel. Could you give more info on that? If you have any photos of it that would be helpful too. I know I've already bought my case but I'm sure plenty of people would be interested as it does seem a really cheap alternative.

Attachments

• lce case.JPG
    lce case.JPG
    88.7 KB · Views: 541
  • lce case open.JPG
    lce case open.JPG
    83.1 KB · Views: 329
ardnasx1 said:
Sancho, I got the case on Monday and I'm pleased with it. Its a different shade of green but certainly does appear to be the same as the LCE case and access to the focus wheel isn't in any way restricted. I've attached a couple of photos. In the "Swarovski LCE ATS HD 65 Stay on case quick review" it was pointed out that the end caps can get caught in the wind as they aren't removable. I found that you can just attach them at the side, as in the second photo below, and that eliminates that problem. I'm sure you'll have no problem finding a new home for your Swaro case!

Das, that case sounds like fantastic value. I couldn't figure out looking at the image on the website how you access the focus wheel. Could you give more info on that? If you have any photos of it that would be helpful too. I know I've already bought my case but I'm sure plenty of people would be interested as it does seem a really cheap alternative.

Ardnasx, here goes - the four pictures says it all. If you require any more info please come back to me. Thanks Dave

Attachments

• IMG_0054.JPG
    IMG_0054.JPG
    60.7 KB · Views: 330
  • IMG_0055.JPG
    IMG_0055.JPG
    62.3 KB · Views: 313
  • IMG_0056.JPG
    IMG_0056.JPG
    60.4 KB · Views: 312
  • IMG_0057.JPG
    IMG_0057.JPG
    61.7 KB · Views: 289
Thanks for that, Dave and Sandra... I won´t be needing a Swaro case anymore, I´ve been converted to Nikon ED, largely by Scampo´s enthusiasm for same ;) ; I recently got a Nikon ED50 and was blown away by it, so decided to go completely ape-crazy and ordered an ED82A to boot. When it arrives I´ll let you know! So now I have a Swaro 65 case and a scope to get rid of too, as well as some real explaining to do to both better half and to credit card provider.....

It turns out that Ace won't ship to the U.S. either, so I'm giving up on British sources and turning to the Creedmoor $35 special. At least they'll send parcels to third-world addresses like Southern California.

Eagle Optics markets a similar case made by Vortex for $40. See http://www.eagleoptics.com/index.asp?pid=4743.

Steve

Sancho said:
Yeah, perhaps they´re still a bit miffed over what happened their tea way back when.... ;)
Sorry, that "Thumbs down" symbol was an accident, don't know how it got there, must have accidentally ticked a box. Not quite sure what it means, even.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back