• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Can a Nikon D70 digiscope well (1 Viewer)

mommom

Hi All!

Am new to forum and to digiscoping. I recently bought a Swarovski 80mm HD scope with a 20-60 zoom lens. I have a Nikon D70 and am using the Swarovski adaptor kit.
What, if any feedback on this combination can you give.
I'm not to impressed with the results so far, albiet I have only taken a couple of pictures. Not the clear shots I was hoping for.

P.S. I did try to upload a sampel picture, but did't have any luck at that either. I don't know maybe this whole thing wasn't such a good idea.

Kathy

Hi Kathy and welcome to BirdForum from all the staff.

I'm sorry to hear that you are not getting the results you'd expected with your gear. How are you attaching your camera to the scope? Are you using a TLS800 adapter or are you attaching the camera using the DCA and a lens on the camera.

I guess with either set up you'll be relying on manual focus, which can be an issue, but does get easier with practice. The other likely issue is stability, the large set up and high magnification make shake a real probem. You will need to be using a good solid tripod and getting fast shutter speeds (you may well need to push up the ISO) to minimise this problem.

It might be good to upload an example or two - click on go advanced and then manage attachments... images need to be re-sized to a max size of 800x800 pixels and 200kb.

Thank you for your reply. I am using the DCA and have been thinking of getting a better tripod. I did try the TLS800, but it looks like my camera is too big for the 800 setup. Going out today to buy new tripod then going to a birding spot in my area. Will let you know if tripod, pixels and image size made a difference. Will also try to upload a picture, hope, hope, hope.

Kathy

Kathy,

I've tried using my D70 on a Zeiss 85 w/ 20-60X zoom. When it works I've gotten some lovely images. However, I've found that mirror-slap will cause more blurry images than a point&shoot will, so that might be part of your problem. All I can suggest is that you set the camera to shoot continuous (several frames at a time) and don't try to zoom higher than 20X to start - at least until you start getting good images. Best!

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back