• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Manaus and the Amazon (1 Viewer)

njlarsen

Gallery Moderator
Opus Editor
Supporter
Barbados
Dear all,
I know nothing about this area, so seeking some info. We are talking about flying to Manaus and hoping that there is a possibility of doing a sort of mini cruise on the river. We would love for it to be a smallish boat with other people that are somehow interested in nature, obviously birding as one important aspect for me. Is there even such boats in that area? I realize my description is vague but this is an idea that came up.

Second question: is there such a thing as a good birding lodge close to Manaus or are they all distant from that area? How about near Belém which we probably would also come through?

thanks
Niels

Dear all,
I know nothing about this area, so seeking some info. We are talking about flying to Manaus and hoping that there is a possibility of doing a sort of mini cruise on the river. We would love for it to be a smallish boat with other people that are somehow interested in nature, obviously birding as one important aspect for me. Is there even such boats in that area? I realize my description is vague but this is an idea that came up.

Second question: is there such a thing as a good birding lodge close to Manaus or are they all distant from that area? How about near Belém which we probably would also come through?

thanks
Niels

Hi Niels,

coincidentally I am looking for a Brazil trip as well, and found a lot of introductory information here:
http://www.rick-simpson.com/p/jeremy-minns-site-notes.html

So there should be a boat, and there are some nice lodges not further than some hours from Manaus (some of them include the transport from Manaus, this obviously won't be cheap, but Amazon birding mostly comes with more costs for logistics and bringing food and stuff to those places).

Hi Guys,

Manaus has a lot of lodges around once is a tourism city and most travelers want to have an Amazonian experience, unfortunately none of them have birding guides or are bird oriented. Places to go in Manaus are Presidente Figueiredo (Guianan cock-of-the-rock, Crimson Topaz, White-naped seedeater, Black manakin among other specialties from campinarana sand soil). Canopy towers are also a good choice. A boat ride to the islands of Anavilhanas certainly will add those islands specialties. If you can go to Tupana river area. How many days are you planning to stay there?

It seems that right now we are looking at 2018 instead of this year. We hope to do one week on a boat and possibly another week in the area. Part of the company are non-birders, so it will have to be balanced.

Niels

Niels and Temmie,

Check out http://birdingbraziltours.com , Andy Whittaker's birding tour company based in Manaus. Andy is a well known birding guide who has made some important contributions to Brazilian ornithology. They can arrange independent tours in the Manaus area, including President Figueiredo and Anavilhanas. I used their services in 2004 to arrange a short independent tour for myself and my wife. They made all the necessary bookings of hotels and a private boat to visit Marchantaria island and surrounding areas near Manaus as well as booking hotel and rental car for us to go to President Figueiredo.

thanks as well! We have our trip more or less sorted out, and for me, the Manaus area won't be visited this year ... Manaus is used as gateway (cheap flights by American, and convenient for internal flights), but I only have two weeks while my travel companions have 3 weeks and will bird a bit in the Manaus region.

Dear all,

thanks
Niels

Hi Niels,

For river cruises, I suggest you get in touch with Amazonia Expeditions (www.amazoniaexpeditions.com.br). They are based in Novo Airão but have a number of ships for river cruises and they have quite a lot of experience with birders as they outfit the river trips for major bird tour and wildlife expedition companies.

If you have further questions about Manaus and area, please feel free to send me a PM.

Cheers
Brad

Thank you again. As I said above, this now looks like it is for end of 2018, so I am not actively working on these details.

Niels

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back