• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon EDG 85 compared to ??? and best eyepiece (1 Viewer)

Taxboy

I'm considering this as a second hand purchase for a full size scope. I have to admit my knowledge of scopes is limited and wondered how this stands up optically against a similar age alpha scope e.g Swarovski ATS.

If the feeling is positive what choice of eyepieces should I be looking at please

Any advice appreciated

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

Hi Taxboy,
I use an EDG 85. I have the 20x60x zoom and the 29x fixed e/ps. The fixed gets most use with the zoo on when something distant needs checking out. 20x does it for me almost all the time. I love the wide fov of a fixed e/p and the eyerelief is longer so it’s easier to use wearing my glasses.

I find the view bright contrasty and sharp and the focuser smooth and easy to use. I’ve not owned a large alpha scope but I used to own a Swarovski ats65 some years ago but I couldn’t get on with the fixed 20x ep. Not enough eyerelief. From memory, I prefer the Nikon.

There is a good variety of eyepieces for it. 20, 25, 30, 38. Also 50 and 75 I think.

The only downside is the considerable weight and also the larger heavier tripod that is needed to support it.

If the weight isn’t an issue for you, then I think you should try it. Bet you’ll like the view (assuming it’s a good sample of course).

One thing the EDG doesn’t have is a wide zoom. No equivalent to the Swarovski, Leica 25-50x zooms.

If that’s of any importance to you.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back