• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

$400 scope recommendations? (1 Viewer)

Bosque

I'm currently using a 35+ year old Bushnell spacemaster, straight, solid gray metal body, ~65mm with a fixed 25x eyepiece (I also have a 60x eyepiece, but it's so dark that it's near impossible to see anything). To compare against I have semi-decent binoculars, Minox HG 8x33 and it'd be nice to have something at least in a similar optics class.

I've made the mistake of looking through some friends scopes this last weekend of back to back CBCs, and realized I should really get a new one if I plan on spending anymore time using a scope. I looked through a newer spacemaster (looked like this), an EO Raven scope, and just to make anything I can afford seem crappy, a Swarovski STM 65 (wow). I'd like to get a newer scope, but I work for an non-profit conservation group so my funds are kind of limited.

Is there anything in the approximately $400 range that is worth buying? At first glance the scopes that are in my price, weight range (I'd like to have something I wouldn't actually mind carrying in the field) and are angled scopes, are the Vortex Viper 15-45x65mm, Vortex Nomad 20-60x60mm and Leupold SX-1 Ventana 15-45x60mm. The Celestron Regal 16-48x65mm F-ED is also in my price range, but weighs about a pound more than I actually want to carry.

Are any of these three worth buying? Are there other options in this price range I should be looking at? I think nearly anything would be an upgrade on what I have but I'd like to get something I won't be annoyed using for many years to come.

Thanks for any insight.

Last edited:
The Regal was my first thought but you mentioned weight. If you can get past the weight issue it is an excellent optical performer in this price range. I haven't found a better one at this price point or even somewhat above it.

On the other hand I would recommend, wholeheartedly, the Nikon ED50. I picked one up about a month ago and it is quite amazing actually. Excellent optical performance for such a small scope. I bought mine from Doug at Cameraland NY via Ebay. Price was $400 (free shipping) plus it came with a fixed 13x, semi-wide angle eyepiece. That is an excellent price for the scope with or without the eyepiece. You could always add other Nikon eyepieces on at a later date though they are becoming a bit harder to find. The little Nikon 13-40x zoom would be a good addition to the fixed power 13x. That one still is available from a few internet retailers but would cost more.

Here is a link to a current auction for the same scope with the same eyepiece from the same retailer.....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nikon-Field...994?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item519c72df82

Note: The eyepiece in the picture is not the same one that comes with the scope.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back