• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

8x30 Not Waterproof (1 Viewer)

Pitter

Years ago in the early nineties I popped for an 8x30 to take on backpacking trips. One morning after a night of heavy rain in the mountains of Washington state I awoke in my tent to find the binocular was completed forged inside. It had been in the tent with me the whole night (and not lying in a pool of leaked water). I returned it to Austria for repair and they 1. charged me a hefty repair fee (binoc two years old at that point) and 2. took months to return it. I swore off Swarovski then but have returned twenty five years later hoping for better performance with an 12x50.

Allbinos has a review of the Swarovski Habicht 10 x 40W dated 24 January 2010.

It says they are "splash-proof" in the 3rd paragraph in the beginning of the review.

https://www.allbinos.com/112-binoculars_review-Swarovski_Habicht_10x40_W.html

It also notes that that it has 60 year old construction in the comments at the end of the review.

(QUOTE)

"This text won’t be impartial at all because I must admit I am simply in love with the look of these binoculars, the way they lie in your hand, the way they smell… It is the classic look epitomized – just beautiful.

Writing here about too small eyecups, too high distortion or truncated pupils is like demanding from a 1966 Ford Mustang to comply with the contemporary requirements for emission of exhaustion fumes and to do 100 kilometers to five litres. It’s not possible for the obvious reasons. For as obvious reasons the 60-year-old Habicht construction won’t correct the distortion well and won’t have a field of view sharp to the very edge but it is not the point, after all…

Have I already mentioned that this set of binoculars is beautiful? I think not. Let’s say it, then. It is beautiful!

P.S. The binoculars are really beautiful!"

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back