• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Is the 80mm Ed considered a "fast" scope? (1 Viewer)

lulubelle

This is a stupid question, I know, but I actually have been searching for the answer for about an hour now - can't get the answer! I finally got the focal length of the 80mm ED = 520. I am looking at EP's again and I know that some work better in "fast" scopes than others.

Lulubelle:

I do not know if there is an actual focal length designation for "Fast Scope"; it's a term that is most often used in reference to telescopes. I would think my PF-65 (390mm focal length) is much faster than your 80. I can say from my experience with my scope that an 8mm EP is too much magnification; but a 9mm is fine.

On the other end, any EP with a focal length longer than 17mm does not provide the minimum level of magnification that is acceptable to me in a spotting scope. I doubt that you will have any trouble with EP's down to 10mm (52x) and possible 8mm (65x). Longer focal lenght EP's such as a 30mm will only yield 17.3x and a 40mm would only yield 13x in your scope.

Pentax makes an XW in 10mm that has a pretty good reputation.

Good luck!

bearclawthedonut

I think Tele Vue is the only company that proclaims its eyepieces are designed for scopes as fast as F5. Fortunately, the PF-80ED would not be classified as a fast optic even if it operated at its full 80mm aperture. Since the aperture restriction caused by the focus mechanism turns the scope into a ~70mm optic, you should have no issues even with simple plossls. As mentioned, the high mag focal length sweet spot for an eyepiece in this scope is 10-14mm.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back