• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Anyone using 7D mk1? (1 Viewer)

willie45

Hi

After a long time of inactivity I have returned to photography. I am keen to get some birds and intend using my 7D mk1. I'm wondering if any of you folks still use this ancient machine? if you are, do you have any tips for me with this particular model?

If I stick with it, I will doubtless upgrade to either a MkII or D80 at some stage but in the meantime do you feel I will be greatly disadvantaged by using the older camera?

Thank you kindly for your help

Yes I'm sure lots do. Maybe if I chance upon a well-priced Mk II I will take it but I don't imagine the Mk1 is a bad camera for my use at all.

I used a 7Di for a number of years and it was a good camera for wildlife but it had it's weaknesses. It had good focusing but the noise at high ISO was bad. At 400-600 ISO it was ok but from 1000 on it was very poor. I went for a second hand 1DIV which was a massive jump up. I do own a 7DII which is a lot better on the noise front, performing ok up to ISO1600. I agree with Paul - use it til the MKIII

Well I had a break away and forgot all about this thread. Sorry. But thank you for your replies. I am inclined to consider an upgrade if I can get a used mk2 though as I suspect the mk3 might well be out of my budget and also as the images seem less noisy and really not any noisier than the Nikon D500 in practice. Mind you I'm likely to be happy enough with the Mk1 for a little while

First thing is to get a decent lens, but that's for another thread |:D|

Last edited:
I still use my "workhorse" 7D, as I have for about 4 years now. Combined with my "original" 150-600 Tamron, it's still delivering outstanding bird images. I have no complaints at all.

The 7D can take a LOT of abuse, and deliver pro-quality results. That's probably the reason I've felt no need to upgrade.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back