• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Greater Flamingos in Messolonghi Wetlands in August? (1 Viewer)

Byronix

Hi all,

I'll be in Greece this August, and was planning a short side trip to the Messolonghi Wetlands. Does anyone know if Greater Flamingos can still be found there in August?

Yes you'll get flamingos there in August, most likely on the salt pans to the west of the town. You may be restricted to watching them from the road as getting into the salt works is a bit hit and miss.

Go to Louros. You reach the lagoon area via a left turn just before the bridge to Neohori (north of Missalonghi, past Aetoliko). Follow the water channel for a couple of wiles and there's a left turn to Louros. It's not a town--it's a beach area that's pretty popular with the locals in summer as it's the only real decent beach for miles. We tend to go birdwatching there in winter and last time, a year and a half ago, there were thousands of flamingos. You can drive a long way ton the dikes around the lagoons--won't be much by the beach in summer, I imagine.Dawn and dusk the mosquitoes are huge and very hungry. A superb place to birdwatch in winter--we've had a brown fish owl and last time we had spotted eagles. Have fun.

Hi Purple Heron, Do you mean somewhere between the saltworks and the bridge across to the island (Aitoliko) or are you meaning north of Aitoliko? (or am I thinking of the wrong place completely?!! Maybe you mean west of the lagoon?) Sorry if I am being a bit slow but I'd like to understand exactly where you mean!
Thanks,
H x

Louros

Louros is north of Aitoliko. Keep going through Aitoliko and north over the northern bridge. You will reach the village of Neohori. As you are leaving Neohori, going north, just before you get to the bridge over the river that leads to next village, Katohi, you will see a turn to your left. There used to be a petrol station there. Turn left. The road down follows a water channel on the right, orange and and olive groves on the left. There are several left turns off this road but you don't want the first couple. After a few kilometers (maybe 5 but I can't swear to it) you will reach a left turn with a sign for a fish farm. I think there is a sign to Louros as well, and I'm pretty sure there is also a white icon stand. If in doubt, stop passing traffic and ask if it is the way to Louros. There will be plenty of people going to the beach and they all drive like maniacs. Follow that road straight down o the water (a lagoon).

Once you have reached the water, you can turn right for Louros, (then left at the pump house--nt that there's a choice)which is a hugely long sand beach backed by lagoons. They can be worth an explore. There is a small lagoon by the beach that sometimes has flamingos. Otherwise the flamingos will be in the big lagoons in front of you as you approach, or off to your left. It's a big area but there were thousands of flamingos when we were there so you won't miss them. You can drive a long way along the dirt road circling the lagoon (going left/south) and eventully you will come out just above Aitoliko. You will see two dirt roads: one a higher embankent and a lower road. They run parallel. The lower road is in much much better shape. You can also drive out on all the causeways, and in summer when things dry up I guess people drive all over the dried-up areas of the lagoon. Depends on your car, I guess.

I can't guarantee how much is in these lagoons in summer--as I said, I like going there in winter. But you should find flamingos at least. Best of luck.

That's really helpful Purple Heron - many thanks!
I'd thought you meant the other side of the water. I'll try and go to Louros next time I'm there! Really appreciate your help.
H

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back