• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Best Microphone For Parabolic Dish (1 Viewer)

Louis_P

Average Birder
Hello, I have a 50cm diameter parabolic dish that I use for nocmigging. Currently, I use a cheap lavalier microphone that came with it. However, I was wondering if anyone could recommend a better quality microphone (preferably under £50) to use. I understand an omnidirectional microphone is probably the best option.

Many thanks,
Louis

Hi Louis,

I recently had a parabola for a week. I used a Rode Lavalier Go mic which was £60, only slightly over your budget. It worked well. I don't have the parabola now. I had to give it back. I still use the Rode mic with my Olympus LS-P4 recorder to record my walks. I clip the mic to my hat. I'm very happy with the results.

Regards,
Phil

Hello, I have a 50cm diameter parabolic dish that I use for nocmigging. Currently, I use a cheap lavalier microphone that came with it. However, I was wondering if anyone could recommend a better quality microphone (preferably under £50) to use. I understand an omnidirectional microphone is probably the best option.

Many thanks,
Louis

Does your recorder have phantom power or plugin power? Have a look here:
https://micbooster.com/primo-microphone-capsules/65-clippy-em172-microphone.html

I have a few of these, very sensitive and perfect for nature, signal to noise ration is just 14db and they work well in damp humid conditions.

If you don’t have Phantom or plugin power it is also possible to purchase a preamplifier that plugs directly inline from the same site.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back