• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tripod/Head for Swaro ATS 65HD. (1 Viewer)

Blue Alert

Well-worn topic, I know - but I've been reading all the similar threads I could find in here for inspiration and have come away uncertain where things stand today.

I understand the Manfrotto 128RC head accepts the ATS without a plate - so I'm essentially sold on that. However, what's more troubling is the tripod.

I don't want to spend anymore than than £300 on the tripod, and am not interested in digiscoping. I want it to be light, quick to use with three sections per leg. I have used a Gitzo tripod before (my father has a heavy duty one for his Canon 500mm F4 lens), and I like the twist motion they use to secure the legs at the desired height.

Can I combine the Manfrotto head with a Gitzo tripod? Surely yes?

I'd also like to be sure that the tripod combines nicely with a Cley Spy Mulepack to complete the setup.

Can I combine the Manfrotto head with a Gitzo tripod? Surely yes?

I was just speaking with one of the reps at Eagle Optics today on this very subject. Apparently the Gitzo tripod does not use a set screw to secure the head--the Gitzo head is designed particularly to mate to the Gitzo tripod. Further, he reported that he has not seen success with customers trying to match the 128RC to the Gitzo tripod for this very reason. He suggested that Gitzo to Gitzo was the way to go.

Perhaps others here can speak to this question from their own experience, but it does seem that the matching 3/8" screw may not be the whole story.

Cheers,

Bradley

1/4" x 20 and 3/8" x 16 are universal threads on most tripods, heads, scopes and cameras and can usually be adapted from one to another, though the adapters are not the best solution and IMO it is best to use the 3/8" thread on tripod and head and also on the scope if this thread is provided.
My Gitzo tripod (series 2 basalt) has a 3/8" thread and there is a grub screw underneath the top plate, which can be tightened to prevent most heads loosening (providing they have sufficient diameter and a flat base).
This is just a bonus, which is not provided by all tripod manufacturers but it has no influence on the compatibility with other heads.

John

It is a nice bonus that the scope fits to the head directly. I use this combination now, again. I tried the Velbon 51Q, nice head but it gets stiff in colder weather, and we have alot of cold weather in Sweden. And I had to use a quick release plate with the Velbon. Not a big deal, but it´s nice not to need one. And now I can fit the Swarovski balance rail right onto the 128RC too.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back