• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sanibel Island, Florida - Gull, Gull, Gull, Gull, Tern (1 Viewer)

Fandango739

GeoBird
United States
1. Big gull! Immature Herring? This lone bird out-sized every other gull around him. I've seen gulls his size before, but they are usually migratory. (There was one that for some reason stayed through the year once at Ft. Myers Beach...but that was a strange event. The following Spring, he was gone.)

2. Another immature...someone. Not nearly as big as #1, but seemed larger than the gulls I believe to Laughing Gulls.

3. Adult Ring-billed...or....

4. Laughing Gull...or....

5. This fellow seemed to never leave his perch the bulk of the day, staying away from the people-crowded beach.

Many thanks!

Attachments

• Big-Gull-01sm.jpg
    Big-Gull-01sm.jpg
    112.7 KB · Views: 154
  • Med-Gull-pink-sm.jpg
    Med-Gull-pink-sm.jpg
    149.8 KB · Views: 167
  • White-gull-01-sm.jpg
    White-gull-01-sm.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 134
  • Laughing-Gull-sm.jpg
    Laughing-Gull-sm.jpg
    130.2 KB · Views: 147
  • Tern-01.jpg
    Tern-01.jpg
    206.6 KB · Views: 168
1. 1st winter Herring Gull
2. Dark 1st winter gull which looks like Lesser Black-backed Gull
3. adult Ring-billed Gull
4. Laughing Gull
5. Forsters Tern

I'd have to agree with Steve.

Good memories of Sanibel Island too...a cracking part of the world
maybe I'll be lucky enough to return some time.

could no. two be an atlantic gull (larus michahellis atlanticus) ?
it seems to have replaced quite a few coverts...
agree on the other IDs.

naaaa, i was tricked on a mobile screen by the different coloured coverts. now it's evident they are all juvenile B :)
got to be a LBBG then!

please tell me that it has at least ONE juvenile scapular left! or I'll just have to leave gulls alone and stick to easier things such as woodpeckers!

nick, i was referring to the (lesser and median) coverts, which i mistook as 2nd gen.;
however, there might be at least one rear lower scap which is broken at the edge and still juvenile ;)

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back