• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What has happened to BUBO (1 Viewer)

Carol Rushton

Hi everyone,

I have been unable to get on to the BUBO listimg website, today or yesterday. Does anyone know if there are any problems?

When trying to access the website, I just get a little circle icon going around and around....

I have tried from a friend's I-pad too.

Thank you.

Kind regards, Carol

I have just tried again and am still having exactly the same problems , as yesterday and the day before - still unable to access

Not just me then. Typical of technology. You invest all that time putting lists on there because it's ostensibly user friendly and doesn't neeed any physical storage and goes up in a puff of smoke. Going to buy an A4 exercise book at least you can rely on pen and paper.

Up and running this morning -thank God
Made me realise I really do need a backup list -any ideas anyone?

Up and running this morning -thank God

Scythebill works well.. I can't remember going into Bubo since I put everything on scythebill. (Birds plus other groups)
Works well with eBird too. scythebill can be exported to eBird, and if you are using the eBird app in the field, you cna import it back to scythebill quite easily too.

Moving your data from platform to platform is the challenge, depending on your IT skills.

I checked out the website. No problem getting into the website, but it said my Clements Checklist had pending taxonomic updates. I had done the taxonomic updates in August, but one of the splits I updated at that time was now pending again. Also, my Clements list now calls loons divers. Probably some sort of glitch that will work itself out.

Dave

Hey folks, sorry for the BUBO Listing problems a few days ago. It just so happened that there were some server issues that arose immediately I had disappeared to roam around the western Himalayas without mobile network for a few days! Back down below 2000m I managed to get a 4G signal for a few minutes: long enough to tweak a few things and normal service should have been resumed.

Pen and paper . . . :king:

The real problem is once you have a backup, is remembering to update it together with the original, otherwise sooner or later you forget to put something new on one or the other of the lists, and they gradually diverge :eek!: :-O

Pen and paper maybe the way to go when I've got a few days to write them all down
Agree updating lists could cause problems but think I'll get an electronic backup first
Does anyone know a good downloadable world list that you can work through and annotate with sightings
Thanks

Pen and paper maybe the way to go when I've got a few days to write them all down
Agree updating lists could cause problems but think I'll get an electronic backup first
Does anyone know a good downloadable world list that you can work through and annotate with sightings
Thanks

Hi "Goyter" - if you want a quick backup, the easiest way is to go to your list on BUBO Listing, and there are some download icons at the top right-hand corner of each list. If you do a download every now and then, that should give you a bit of a backup if you'd like that extra reassurance. You could even print them out and stick them on your fridge ;)

Best wishes

Andy (other half of BUBO Listing) Musgrove

Another general point re BUBO Listing - we don't tend to check Birdforum very often these days. Twitter or Facebook may be a more immediate way to get our attention if there's a problem. (But in general, if the website is down, someone will tell us pretty quickly!)

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back