• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Wirral trip (1 Viewer)

kingfisher

Scouser in exile
Thought i would put a few lines here about my trip home to the Wirral on Merseyside, i took my girlfriend with me, this was the first time i had been home in 22 years.

Our time there was spent visiting different parts of the area, including the River Dee from Parkgate through to West Kirby stopping at various locations including Thursaston and the visitor centre, with its wonderful hide there watching the dispaly put on by all the birds feeding on the feeders, and incredible views of a fox (bitch) watching me from a bush just 4 feet away, then casually walking out into the open and sitting in the sunshine, a wonderful moment, over 3 days we walked miles along the shoreline, watching and listening just relaxing and enjoying the sunshine, on our way back to the car park we were both amazed to find a very tame Robin hoping around our feet, then jumped on to my hand and allowed us both to gently stroke it, it looked at peace with us being there, yet another wonderful moment we won't forget.

the check list of birds seen over the 2 full days on the wirral were as follows

Curlew 100+
Black Tailed Godwit 300+
Redshank 550+
Carrion Crow lots !!!!
Lapwings 450+
Dunlin 1050+
Knot 100+
Shellduck 80+
Cormarant 60+
Robin 20+
Long Tailed Tit 20+
Blue Tit 15
Collarded Dove 5
House Sparrow
Tree Sparrow 20
Coal Tit 3
Marsh Tit 1
Bullfinch 4
Redwing Numerous
Blackbird
Chaffinch 30+
Greenfinch 20
Moorhen Numerous
Heron 4
Buzzard 4
Kestrel 3
Rook 50+
Mallard 10
Oystercatcher 300+
Starling 50+
Turnstone 30
Little Gull 10
Dunnock 5
Pintail 11
Numerous gulls were all present, in total we covered 655 miles in the round trip a great time was had by us both in these 2 days. On the return journey we stopped at Symonds Yat for tea, or was that a wee dram !!!!!! Picy enclosed.

We are now looking forward too a much longer visit to the area in the future.

Attachments

• dscn0149.jpg
    dscn0149.jpg
    599.9 KB · Views: 158
Yes Andrew, it is on the River Wye, and a mighty fine part of the world it is too !!!!, oh by the way glad to see you support the right team.

You have my full support and backing on this one Andrew, there is only one team worth supporting, and at the moment we are just allowing the others a little touch of success then we will clean up next season.........

I suppose that as Liverpool are having such a bad season you two exiles have to talk them up a bit! Still, at least you don't support Arsenal......

Well lets hope we can come away with something this year, the League Cup final against Man U should be a good final a repeat of the 1983 would be good for me.

Sounds lika a great trip Kingfisher! Just one river bird missing- Alcedo Atthis! "Numerous gulls", I take it your as good as me at gulls? Hope you found time for a few pints of Higsons, or has that now been swallowed up by the majors? Paul

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back