• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Old leica apo 77mmm (1 Viewer)

wachipilotes

Hello,
For current standards, you can consider the Leica APO 77mm model a good spotting scope, that is, it is still competitive compared to the current APO's telescopes ??
Thank you
Wachi

Hi Wachi,
In their day, the Leica ApoTelevid 62 & 77 scopes were very highly regarded but were obviously superseded by the current 65 & 82 a number of years ago. Apart from their substantial weight they are still excellent scopes and can hold their own against many of the latest models from other marques. I use an ApoTelevid 62 with 26x W & 16-48x zoom and have still not found a new scope that I would happily swap it for! I guess that you are considering buying a used one? If so, you should be very pleased with it if it has been well looked after but be aware that there were issues with lens coatings coming off on some examples and cases, lenses & accessories are now getting quite hard to find.

RB

My 77 APO is still going strong after 17 years. I'd love an 82mm version but to be honest I just can't justify it. The difference between the 77 and the 82 just doesn't equate to another two grand spend!

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back