• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

LEITZ’S TRINOVIDS - Models and Numbering (1 Viewer)

John A Roberts

Australia
Hello All,

A while ago I did some basic research so that I could wrap my head around Leitz’s Trinovid models.

I’ve attached a couple of tables:
- the first outlines introductions and basic visual identification, and;
- the second goes into greater detail including serial numbers.

Keep in mind that this is preliminary work, so it’s going to be both incomplete and have inaccuracies. However, as questions about Trinovids come up all the time, I’ve decided to post both as a public service and to encourage others to contribute.

For those that are interested, WorthPoint (a collection of info from sales sites at: https://www.worthpoint.com ) was particularly useful in compiling the tables.

John

Attachments

• Leitz Trinovid - Introduction.pdf
    33.9 KB · Views: 758
  • Leitz Trinovid - Greater Detail.pdf
    33.6 KB · Views: 827
Last edited:
The history of the Leica Trinovids are described in detail by Gary Hawkins in 2007.
- First patent for Trinovids in 1953. First models of series 1: 8x40 and 7x42 launched in 1958. Production, repairs etc. too costly so vary few were made. Both had very large FOV's.
Trinovid 2:introduced at the Photokin in 1963: 6x24 (only made until 1965, probably only 500 pieces), 8x32 and 10x40. Hard rubber eyecups and knobs for attachment of straps. Black rectangular logo with white inscription Leitz.
1964 7x35 Trinovid,
1968 7x42B Trinovid. In 1973 8x32B and 10x40B introduced.
1979 7x42BA, 8x40BA and 10x40BA also in green rubber armor available. 1983 7x35BA and 8x32BA with green rubber armor on the market.
1984: 7X35 discontinued,
1985 10x40 BA/N introduced with enhanced close focus (5,5 m)
Logos: 1965 black square with engraved white letters Leitz Wetzlar
1971: black circle with engraved in white Leitz Wetzlar
1976-1977: production transferred to Portugal, from then on red circle logo with engraved in white letters Leitz.
Production of the 7x35B was stopped for a couple of years (I have a letter from mr. Hengst in which he explains the why etc.) , but because of many demands it started again with improved coatings etc.
The Trinovid 2's had Uppendahl roof prisms and production of this binocular line stopped in 1988 to be replaced by the 'brick) Trinovid-3 line also made in Portugal.
Gijs van Ginkel

For numbering of binoculars, cameras and lenses, I think that the only really accurate source are the makers records.

I went through Dallmeyer's original very large and thick ledgers.
Each lens made was written in by hand with dates etc. Possibly in pencil, but I can't remember from the 1980s when I sat for many days going through the ledgers.
There are many volumes and I think these still exist, although maybe not very old ones from the 19th century.

I also spent weeks at the Imperial War Museum.
They have records that could take many lifetimes to go through.

Similarly TTH could date any lens, although shadow factories are probably not so reliable.

Russian binoculars were well marked until the break up of the Soviet Unionn, but in the chaos after the break up there are sometimes no serial numbers at all, just a date. The quality was very variable, some being poor.
It seems the parts were just put together and quality control sometimes poor.

When the Chinese 'one use' binoculars came on the scene it is very difficult to know the quality of a Russian binocular, or even whether it is fake.

There are numerous Zeiss binocular fakes and Leica camera fakes.
I don't know if there are fake Trinovids.

Gary Hawkins has in 2007 supplied a complete list with the numbers of the Trinovids-2 connected to the production year, so all this knowledge is available.
Gijs van Ginkel

Hello Gijs,

Thanks for the definitive dating from Gary Hawkins. Where did he originally post the information - especially the serial numbers? I looked but could not find it.
And of course I should have made it clear that I was only referring to the second - closed bridge - version of the Trinovid (doh!).

Version 1 TRINOVID
For those interested, there are clear photos of:
- the first version Trinovid at post #57: https://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=244984&page=3
- and a prototype at: https://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?p=3014838#post3014838
** EDIT: Having looked fully down the second thread, from this new connection, it's clear that the 'prototype' is in fact a Beck Kassel unit
(I'd originally copied the thread to my Leitz folder before the Beck connection was posted) - my bad! John **
The v1 Trinovids used the Ludewig mirror & prism system verses the Uppendahl prisms of the v2.

MODEL and NUMBERING TRANSITION to V2 TRINOVID
The only v1 Trinovids for which I’ve seen serial numbers are 601k and 604k (the number is located on the underside of the axle).

The numbering I’ve observed for the other early Leitz roof prisms is:
- Oberon 3.2x14 (Sprenger prism) 511k to 588k, and;
- Amplivid 6x24 (Ludewig mirror & prism) 555k to 616k.

And the latest Porro prism I’ve observed is 580k (this will be low as I’ve not done much on-line searching for Leitz Porro’s).

The numbering is in keeping with Peter Abrahams listing at http://home.europa.com/~telscope/leitzbin.txt.
He notes that all the Porro binos along with the Amplivid were discontinued in 1962. So the previous models go to at least 616k, and then the first v2 Trinovid introduced in 1963 commences by 626k at the latest (see my second table in the initial post).

Again for those interested:
- some detail about and a clear photo of the Oberon is at: https://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-wiki.en/index.php/OBERON
- and information about and photos of the Amplivid is at: https://www.allbinos.com/166.1-article-Legendary_binoculars_-_Leitz_Amplivid_6x24.html

Version 2 TRINOVIDS
A point of clarification. While the v2 Trinovid 6x24 was discontinued in 1965, it’s clear that there was a later limited production run:
- I’ve observed the first production to 651k (which is consistent with a 1965 discontinuation - and a 7x35 introduction - as in the second table in my first post), and then a small run from 710k to 711k, and;
- there is a 1967 Leitz advert about the second production run, see post #36 at: https://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?p=2828446#post2828446

And a point of interest. The earliest 7x35 unit I’ve observed #653,163 is marked ‘7x35’ not ‘7x35B’, but it’s marked field of view is 150 m - the standard 7x35B FOV.

And finally, a query. Is the 10x40 BA/N marked in some distinguishing way?

UPDATED TABLE
I’ve attached a second version of my first table, incorporating Gary’s information. Thanks again Gijs.
I’ll post an updated version of my second table after I get a chance to do some comparing/reconciling of the dating with the numbering and features.

John

Attachments

• Leitz v2 Trinovid - Introduction.pdf
    34.7 KB · Views: 373
Last edited:
John, post 6,
In 2007 there was a meeting of the Binocular History Society at Zeiss in Wetzlar and there Gary Hawkins sold his little book entitled "Novelties" in which he describes in detail including production numbers of the Leitz Trinovid-2 range, but he also shows and describes the intriguing Trinovid-1's 7x42 and 8x40 with giant FOV's (he has one showed on his WEB-site if I remember well). And, of course the development and construction with models and production numbers of the Trinovid-3 binoculars not to forget the small pocket Leica's . The book was written for the occasion of 100 years of binocular production by Leica (1907-2007), but it was completely focussed on the roof prism line
I just finished two test reports one about Trinovid-2 binoculars form different years and among them one 6x24 which was dated 1965 and an indication that only 500 were made in the two production years the 6x24 was made. I also read somewhere that a very small run of 6x24's was made after 1965, but I have to search for the data.
Gijs van Ginkel

Elmer Fudd, post 8,
Yes that is the 7x42 Trinovid-1. Nobody will probably be able to repair it or asssemble it again after it has been disassembled.
Gijs van Ginkel

Elmer Fud,
I saw on the Julich forum that you asked the question: when is the Trinovid1 7x42 made. According to Gary Hawkins the patents for it were filed in 1953 and it was launched in 1958. Production was difficult and not economical and so were the repairs, so they were not long in production.
In 1962 Leitz produced a 7-12x zoom Trinovid Vario, only two were made both in posession of Leica camera AG.
Gijs van Ginkel

Attachments

• 117217321.KJzsZDDn.jpg
    117217321.KJzsZDDn.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 83
Splendid! Would be wonderful if that were offered still.
Just wonder though whether this was glasses friendly.
The 6x24 Amplivid did not offer much eye relief, so perhaps this design does not allow it.

Completely in accord with the time these binoculars came with short eye relief.

BTW, the figures for FoV given by Allbinos are not entirely correct. The 7x42 has 170/1000m, the 8x40 175/1000.

Renze

Just tried the 6x24 Amplivid on an almost full moon a few minutes ago.
Very sharp centrally.
No CA seen centrally. A little near the field edge.
Glare control, ghosting etc. very good for a 60 year old binocular.

The eye relief is small. But I don't wear glasses and no problem at all.
Using glasses I can just see the field stops with the eyecups touching the glasses.
It is possible that the hard eyecups could be removed? to give adequate eye relief.

This is a lovely binocular, completely overhauled to a very high standard by Dougie in Glasgow.
It is such a shame he passed away young a few years ago.

It goes in my pocket, yet has a 12 degree field.
It is a bit dark as the transmission is not high, but this is not usually noticed.

Renze, post 15,
Gary published FOV's of 170m/1000m for the 7x42 and 160m/1000m for the 8x40 Trinovid 1 and he should be very well informed since he was a Leica binocular technician, binocular collector and historian for 25 years in 2007.
Gijs van Ginkel

Thanks Gijs,
57-60% transmission seems correct.

Just shone a torch through the Amplivid and both sets of optics are very clean inside.

The Soviet 6x24 has a similar field, and is brighter, but my one is haunted by ghost images.
I prefer the Amplivid, even though it isn't as bright as the Soviet binocular.
The Soviet one doesn't go in my pocket.

Renze, post 15,
Gary published FOV's of 170m/1000m for the 7x42 and 160m/1000m for the 8x40 Trinovid 1 and he should be very well informed since he was a Leica binocular technician, binocular collector and historian for 25 years in 2007.
Gijs van Ginkel

We all are prone to mistakes Gijs.

Renze

Attachments

• 7x42 (3d).jpg
    7x42 (3d).jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 102
  • 8x40 (2d).jpg
    8x40 (2d).jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 115

Users who are viewing this thread

Back