• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

A few shots from my astro scope (1 Viewer)

Ultra Lite

A few shots from my astro scope (560mm f/7 APO triplet)

Attachments

• Card full adult male 1200.jpg
    Card full adult male 1200.jpg
    336.8 KB · Views: 261
  • GOLDFINCH 1200.jpg
    GOLDFINCH 1200.jpg
    198.6 KB · Views: 225
  • 5grosbeak fem 1200.jpg
    5grosbeak fem 1200.jpg
    261.8 KB · Views: 197
  • ORIOLE 1200.jpg
    ORIOLE 1200.jpg
    220 KB · Views: 229
  • cape may 1 1200.jpg
    cape may 1 1200.jpg
    239.1 KB · Views: 203
Thanks for the kind reception of my work it's appreciated.

Gear:
It's Astro Tech 80mm cost $650.
Camera was a Pentax DL (6mp sensor) and a Pentax K20 (14.6 mp sensor). I think the only shot taken with the K20 was the first Cardinal pic full frame and it shows.

Here's a few more with a shot of my gear. The close up was barlowed to 2x. Hardly any of these are full frame and most are cropped a bit.
Note: in the pic of my gear it's setup for extreme closeup and I don't normally have that much extension on the scope.

Attachments

• bunting 1200.jpg
    bunting 1200.jpg
    138.5 KB · Views: 160
  • card 1200.jpg
    card 1200.jpg
    202.9 KB · Views: 140
  • P. Finch 1200.jpg
    P. Finch 1200.jpg
    322.4 KB · Views: 163
  • lLin sparrow 1200.jpg
    lLin sparrow 1200.jpg
    345.7 KB · Views: 148
  • IMGP0556 1200.JPG
    IMGP0556 1200.JPG
    168.8 KB · Views: 243
Last edited:
These are gorgeous photos, great work! Over how much time did you take these?

I would like to see that Northern Cardinal full adult male with the red dialed back so that it is not saturated beyond the gamut, so that detail can be seen in the most strong red areas.

I used to use that Manfrotto gimbal, too... I switched to a Wimberley because it allows for fine-tuning in the vertical position (which I need on some of my lenses for perfect balance), and can be tightened so strongly that the camera can be removed without the lens flopping down. But the Manfrotto still has the advantage in fluidity of movement.

Your photos of the female Black-headed Grosbeak and American Goldfinch show a lot of chromatic aberration... was there anything different about how you took those shots than the others? The others show virtually no CA...

Last edited:
Answers to some of the questions raised:

Over-saturation - that was the same file I sent to the newspaper editor. They like "punchy" otherwise it turns out too dull given the limitations of color printing for papers. The editors like punchy so I give them punchy.

CA - I have four scopes two of which are achromatics so it could be just a case of defective memory and confusion. Bad memory rather than bad glass. I know the triplet is clean.

BTW it's a female Rose-breasted Grosbeak. I'm way out of range for a Black-headed.

Exposure compensation - No problems. I like to underexpose a bit so it's usually at -.7 as a default. I have found that center-weighted metering rather than multi-segment or spot is the most accurate with long glass with my gear.

The Zeiss bins - my constant companion for over 20 years. They will be buried with me.

For you gearheads and pixel peepers;

I notice that none of the posted pics were done with the Pentax K20D but, rather, the old DL. So I'll throw this out without comment...

...what you can do with a 14.6mp sensor -

UL

Attachments

• IMGP2728 1200.JPG
    IMGP2728 1200.JPG
    196.3 KB · Views: 172
  • IMGP2728 1200. crop.jpg
    IMGP2728 1200. crop.jpg
    376 KB · Views: 185
Last edited:
Steve,
yes it's the 7x42. I looked through many other high-end bins through the years but the difference has been so marginal that I've never felt a need to replace the Zeiss.

Jason,
The triplet is perhaps the only glass I have that will out resolve the sensor on the K20 I think.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back